WIFI slow to reconnect when phone awakes from sleep mode
tajkkj

Today, I updated my LG G3 to Android Lollipop. I have WIFI set to turn off when in sleep mode (unless device plugged in). Now when the phone comes out of sleep mode, it takes up to a minute before the WIFI connection is reestablished. With the previous version of the OS, WIFI reconnected immediately after awakening from sleep mode.

Has this problem been reported to Google? I have not found a way to report bugs directly to Google as a user.

Thanks,

Tim

Labels (1)
0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: WIFI slow to reconnect when phone awakes from sleep mode
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep
tajkkj,

I appreciate the great amount of details you have provided. I have raised up this concern to LG for them to further investigate into this change since the software update.

LindseyT_VZW
Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport
If my response answered your question please click the "Correct Answer" button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!!

View solution in original post

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep
Thanks for bringing this to our attention tajkkj
Was the device reset after the update? Any apps that use Wifi only on the device? Please power down and remove and reinsert the Sim Card and retest.

JoeL_VZW
If my response answered your question please click the "Correct Answer" button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!!
0 Likes
tajkkj

Joel, thanks for your reply. I've followed your instructions, and the problem persists. I assume by reset, you mean reset to factory settings. No. It has been rebooted, and powered off/on several times since the OS update. I have no idea whether there are any apps that use WIFI only. How would I know what each app may require?

Since this happened immediately after the OS update, the logical conclusion is that the update caused this behavior. In my 45 years as a software engineer, I can say this is the most likely cause.

Now, here are two more observations. When I first power the LG G3 up, the WIFI connection is made immediately; before I even unlock the device. So, we know the OS is quick to establish connections upon power up. It is only when coming out of sleep mode that the WIFI connection is slow to be reestablished, taking about a minute as opposed to immediately with the prior OS version.

The second observation is that with my wife's Samsung Note 4, which was updated to lollipop several weeks ago, I do not see this delayed WIFI connection after being awakened from sleep mode. With the Note 4, the connection is reestablished immediately with lollipop as with the prior OS version.

Considering the difference in behavior between the Note 4 and the G3, I would conclude that LG made a firmware change for lollipop which is causing the delay, or LG didn't make a necessary firmware change for lollipop which is causing the delay. At this point, I would say this is an LG G3 problem. It should be easily reproduced. Under the advanced WIFI settings, the setting "Keep WI-FI on when screen is off" should be set to either "Only when plugged in" or "No".

Thanks again for your help.

0 Likes
tajkkj

One more data point. While the LG G3 is sleeping, when the recharger cable is plugged into it, the WIFI is immediately reconnected. So, the reconnection delay I'm seeing only occurs when the battery is discharging while the device is awakened from sleep.

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep
tajkkj,

Thanks for trying the suggested steps. I appreciate your patience as we work to get this resolved. Just to be clear, the issue you are having is that the phone is slow to connect to wifi when coming off sleep mode? But it does connect to wifi and work correctly.

Let's make sure a 3rd party apps is not causing this. Place the phone in safe mode http://www.verizonwireless.com/support/knowledge-base-112843/ and retest. Let us know if you notice a difference. If this behavior stops while in safe mode then a 3rd party is causing the slow connection. You would then need to remove all 3rd party apps and add them back one at a time.

if the issue persist while in safe mode keep us posted to we may further assist.

JohnB_VZW

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep
tajkkj,

I appreciate the great amount of details you have provided. I have raised up this concern to LG for them to further investigate into this change since the software update.

LindseyT_VZW
0 Likes
tajkkj

John, the symptoms are also present in safe mode.

0 Likes
tajkkj

Lindsey, thank you. Note per reply to John above, the problem persists in safe mode.

0 Likes