What is the correct way to swap between phones?
dgpete
Enthusiast - Level 1

Later today I am receiving a new S7 from Verizon that will replace my phone. I will then give my old S5 to my son to replace his damaged S5.

• Do I do my old S5 to the new S7, then wipe/reset my old S5 and swap with my son's S5?
  • Once my old S5 has been swapped will it still be "available" for an immediate swap to his old phone?
  • Do I do this all as the videos show or do I just swap the SIM cards? If swapping the SIM cards works so easily why all the rigamarole online with the WIFI etc etc etc?
  • Does swapping the SIM card take the call logs, SMS and MMS with it?

I assume I  will need to erase or reset the old one because my phone is absolutely full of apps and I read somewhere that the SWAP will not clear the phone.

What is the CORRECT order of operations to do this so I don't mess anything up please?

Thanks much,

Doug

Labels (1)
0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Help! Swapping between THREE phones today!
tikibar1
Community Leader
Community Leader

dgpete wrote:

Later today I am receiving a new S7 from Verizon that will replace my phone. I will then give my old S5 to my son to replace his damaged S5.

• Do I do my old S5 to the new S7, then wipe/reset my old S5 and swap with my son's S5?   Yes
  • Once my old S5 has been swapped will it still be "available" for an immediate swap to his old phone?  Yes
  • Do I do this all as the videos show or do I just swap the SIM cards? If swapping the SIM cards works so easily why all the rigamarole online with the WIFI etc etc etc?   Swapping the SIM card activates the phone, it doesn't transfer all the data.
  • Does swapping the SIM card take the call logs, SMS and MMS with it?   As noted above, no.  But anything on the SD card should remain when you move it to the new phone.

I assume I will need to erase or reset the old one because my phone is absolutely full of apps and I read somewhere that the SWAP will not clear the phone.

What is the CORRECT order of operations to do this so I don't mess anything up please?

Thanks much,

Doug

I would set up the new S7 first.  You can't move your SIM card from the S5 to the S7 since the S5 uses a micro SIM and the S7 uses a nano SIM.  Remove the SIM card from the S5 since it won't be needed; the S7 should have a SIM card installed.  You should have the option during activation to transfer all your data from the S5 to the S7 via Smart Switch (Samsung Smart Switch: Transfer Contacts, Music and More I Samsung US ).  Don't forget to move the SD card from the S5 to the S7 if you have one installed.

Once the S7 is set up, ensure that the SIM card and SD card are removed from the S5 and then factory reset the S5 (http://www.androidcentral.com/how-do-factory-reset-samsung-galaxy-s5-wipe-all-data ).  Remove the SIM card from your son's S5 and place it in your S5.  Again, during activation you should have the option to transfer all the data via Smart Switch.

View solution in original post

tikibar1
Community Leader
Community Leader

dgpete wrote:

• Do I do my old S5 to the new S7, then wipe/reset my old S5 and swap with my son's S5?   Yes
  • Once my old S5 has been swapped will it still be "available" for an immediate swap to his old phone?  Yes
  • Do I do this all as the videos show or do I just swap the SIM cards? If swapping the SIM cards works so easily why all the rigamarole online with the WIFI etc etc etc?   Swapping the SIM card activates the phone, it doesn't transfer all the data.
  • Does swapping the SIM card take the call logs, SMS and MMS with it?   As noted above, no.  But anything on the SD card should remain when you move it to the new phone.

I assume I will need to erase or reset the old one because my phone is absolutely full of apps and I read somewhere that the SWAP will not clear the phone.

Thanks much,

Doug

I would set up the new S7 first.  You can't move your SIM card from the S5 to the S7 since the S5 uses a micro SIM and the S7 uses a nano SIM.  Remove the SIM card from the S5 since it won't be needed; the S7 should have a SIM card installed.  You should have the option during activation to transfer all your data from the S5 to the S7 via Smart Switch (Samsung Smart Switch: Transfer Contacts, Music and More I Samsung US ).  Don't forget to move the SD card from the S5 to the S7 if you have one installed.

Once the S7 is set up, ensure that the SIM card and SD card are removed from the S5 and then factory reset the S5 (http://www.androidcentral.com/how-do-factory-reset-samsung-galaxy-s5-wipe-all-data ).  Remove the SIM card from your son's S5 and place it in your S5.  Again, during activation you should have the option to transfer all the data via Smart Switch.

dgpete
Enthusiast - Level 1

Thanks much Tikibar! I appreciate the quick response too.

One Quick clarification please:

do you mean I should remove the SIM from my S5 BEFORE I do the Smart Switch?

Thanks again!

Doug

0 Likes
tikibar1
Community Leader
Community Leader

Yes.  You can only have one active SIM card per line, so once you activate the S7, your S5 SIM card should be inactive.  To avoid issues activating the S7, I'd remove the S5 SIM card first.