Why are we not getting the lattest version of android?
dbltapp00

well?

Labels (1)
0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: why are we not getting the lattest version of android?
Tidbits
Legend

Carriers don't touch the code...

Manufacturers get everything in advance and do nothing but test code.

Google

Sony

HTC

Motorola

Are companies that have expressed this within the past 3 years.

Each update goes through an approval process that isn't always the same. Depending on when things are submitted the FCC could take a while. Manufacturers don't give out their updates all at the same time.

View solution in original post

Jakeman1
Master - Level 1

It is very simple. Your device manufacturer creates the update and tests it out. Some carriers go with the Manufacturers testing only some do their own tests. Those that do their own tests release later then those that do not test. Then Verizon goes through the update very carefully to make sure that all of its required added bloatware is in the image and cannot be removed.  This is usually where part of the holdup is. The last part of the holdup is, pure greed. If you have a contract that is up in a month or two you are almost guaranteed to get a new device from Verizon. If there is a fresh new update and you update your device with new features and performance, then you will not upgrade your device as soon as possible and they lose out on the sale of a new device plus the 2 year contract extension.

Not applicable

hyperbole much Jake? If Verizon is so terrible why are you still a customer? Hmmmm.

0 Likes
Jakeman1
Master - Level 1

Well it is very simple.  Verizon's business practices are questionable (to me), their Customer service is sub par although most of the agents do try and Verizon is in the business to make money, nothing else.

I stay with Verizon for a few reasons

1) they are better then the other carriers

2) they do have the best service in the areas I need my phone

3) they are on par cost wise if you take all the other carriers add ons and add them to their lowball prices

4) their service is reliable

I could care less about their customer service as I rarely call them. I could care less that they do not push the latest and greatest updates out the day they get them what matters to me the most and I get this with Verizon and did NOT get it with the others is, my phone always has a signal, I can always make calls, I do not get hit on all my bills with charges for things I do not know how they got there or what they are. Basically my decision to be with Verizon is much like a business decision and not an emotional one or I would probably not have a cell service. That and I think the bad service is a result of them getting too big too fast and they hired a ton of people to handle the calls.

Tidbits
Legend

Carriers don't touch the code...

Manufacturers get everything in advance and do nothing but test code.

Google

Sony

HTC

Motorola

Are companies that have expressed this within the past 3 years.

Each update goes through an approval process that isn't always the same. Depending on when things are submitted the FCC could take a while. Manufacturers don't give out their updates all at the same time.

Jakeman1
Master - Level 1

This is correct and what I stated above. Some of the carriers don't even test the update and just rely on the manufacturers testing. Verizon does do some testing on the update and mostly they are looking to make sure certain features are turned OFF and their Bloatware is installed and then once they are satisfied it is all to their spec, they might schedule it for a release.  In some cases they sit on the release of an update for a few months and may not release it at all depending on the phone