Why does Verizon not allow unlock bootloaders?
enigmaco
Enthusiast - Level 2

So I been wondering why is it Verizon is blocking the bootloaders on Android phones, when you have manufacturers unlocking them for the users who are paying a ridiculous amount for the phones to begin with.  I was hoping to see the droid phones unlocked, and motorola is living up to their end by unlocking them, but it seems Verizon is being difficult about it.  I think since we do pay a ridiculous amount of money for the phones we should  at least have that abililty. 

I find it odd that it is no problem to the rest of the world, who seem to get their updates quicker as well.  But over here Verizon has a issue,

Labels (1)
0 Likes
Re: Why does Verizon not allow unlock bootloaders?
demmo86rt
Champion - Level 3

Verizon keeps bootloaders locked (most of the time) because it helps to prevent hacking, which can allow free access to features that they normally charge for, as well as voiding of warranties.  They are mostly trying to cover themselves from issuing replacements for something the user caused.

0 Likes
techjunkie64

If you were to install a custom ROM, all of the crap-ware that Verizon puts on, trying to get you to buy movies, use mickeysoft navigation and such would be gone...  Only Motorola phones, at the moment, are locked in such a way as to make it difficult (not impossible) to install custom ROMs.

0 Likes
enigmaco
Enthusiast - Level 2
Yeah I know its possible and it would be nice to remove the crapware, which I think is causing issues for the phones. I understand verizon uses them for profit and yada yada yada, but you should be allowed to delete them. And it would be nice to get these os updates quicker then the normal year it takes them to roll them out.
PJNC284
Master - Level 2

The bootloader doesn't need to be unlocked to remove the bloat apps.  You just need the r-word that we can't speak of.  Unlocked bootloader does open the door for low voltage kernels (better battery life) and other goodies though.

0 Likes
AZSALUKI
Legend

enigmaco wrote:
Yeah I know its possible and it would be nice to remove the crapware, which I think is causing issues for the phones. I understand verizon uses them for profit and yada yada yada, but you should be allowed to delete them. And it would be nice to get these os updates quicker then the normal year it takes them to roll them out.

fyi...."if" your device ever gets ice cream sandwich, one of the features of it will be that you can completely disable preinstalled apps. you still can't uninstall them, but you can disable them to the point that they will not show up in the app drawer AND will never randomly open and start running. i thought this was a pretty nice feature.

0 Likes
enigmaco
Enthusiast - Level 2

AZSALUKI wrote:

enigmaco wrote:

fyi...."if" your device ever gets ice cream sandwich, one of the features of it will be that you can completely disable preinstalled apps. you still can't uninstall them, but you can disable them to the point that they will not show up in the app drawer AND will never randomly open and start running. i thought this was a pretty nice feature.

Yeah actually using go launcher on my phone, and one of the neat features it has it allowed me to hide the bloatware, so at least it's a little more helpful.  Yeah I'm glad google is finally wanting to get somewhat of a handle on the bloatware, that's one of the reasons I am really looking forward to the new nexus phone coming to Verizon.  I am half tempted to use the "r word"  heaven forbid people use the word and want to have complete control of their phone lol. 

0 Likes