lg ally restarts every 5 minutes after new software update
freddyman16

Ever since the software update on the Ally, the phone restarts every 5 min. or so.  I took it to Verizon store and they didn't know of any issues with this.  Talked to tech support.  They didn't know how to fix.  Now on second Ally and after update it is doing the same thing.  Anybody else have this issue?  Is there a fix?  I did factory restart and now the phone wont run backup assistant.  Says password is not valid.  When you ask what the password is it tells you, but it wont accept it.

Labels (1)
0 Likes
Re: lg ally restarts every 5 minutes after new software update
rbw1

My experience has been the same as yours- after the VZW update last week, my phone started to reboot randomly.  I took it to a VZW store.  The tech said that they had not heard of the issue, and after looking at it for about 10 mins, replaced the phone with a "certified pre-owned" one.  Unfortunately, the new phone exhibits the exact same behavior.  There are some threads on this issue at LG Ally Forums, an independent site, including one that I started, but no one seems to have an answer.

I've tried a number of steps to eliminate the restart on both phones- disabling sync, removing applications, changing push and poll settings for email, using a task manager to kill tasks- all with no effect on the problem.  I don't use Backup Assistant, so I don't know if my phone would also have issues with it.

And my phone still shows the "50% time without cell signal" problem, which is a battery drain, but seems to be curable by placing the phone into airplane mode for a few minutes, and then taking it out of airplane mode.

These two issues- random restarts, and the cell signal problem (and its effect on battery life)- are overshadowing all of the other excellent features of the phone.

0 Likes
tortured

I have had my Ally for 30 days and have returned it and had it replaced 3 times. Each time, the new one does the same thing.

Sometimes it shuts off every 5 minutes and restarts all day however I have also gone an entire day with no re-boot.

It seems to help if you take off the battery and clean it and the phone connection for the battery. This is only a temporary improvement though. The techs at the store think I'm crazy at this point. They have not had anyone else complain so far but me.

They will not do any more exchanges for me nor will they let me have another phone since I mailed in the rebate, so I hope they find a fix as I am stuck with this on a brand new phone!!!!

0 Likes
wmayo

This is insane!! After update, my Ally now has a number of apps that totally flake - won't run. Looking at other forums, it looks like the update really messed up the phone. Even some well-written apps, like from Garmin, won't run!!

Meanwhile, cust. service guy tells me ... Verizon does not guarantee that your Ally (or any phone) will do anything other than make calls, take pics, and get messages. Otherwise, you aren't assured squat!!! Way to cripple the phone LG ... once word gets around, this will be a DEAD PHONE as far as future is concerned.

Verizon, or LG or somebody FIX THIS!!

0 Likes
wmayo

Ok, I was probably harsh. I just was a little angry when customer rep offered no solution but .... sorry you may just have to live with that kind of thing. We only promise you very basic functions.

When apps are reinstalled, it will hold ... until cold reboot. So, I'm good for a while. But this shouldn't stand. I do hope they look at this. Apparently this doesn't affect everyone, just those show use certain apps, but a LOT of apps are affected.

0 Likes
pstevenson2005

I have some of the same symptoms.  I had 3 apps that I use a lot become non-functional whenever I restart.  They are Paypal, TV.com, and Mobile Banking.  But I'm sure if these are affected, there are a lot more.  And I agree with you, wmayo ---

SOMEONE NEEDS TO ADDRESS THIS!!!!!

How do we get them to listen?

0 Likes
wmayo

I tried. Email response is that are fowarding my input to MARKETING. Hmmm, I though this was a technical problem!!

Anyway, I have discovered that even turning the phone OFF and back ON ... neutralizes a number of apps, which I have to reinstall ... everytime!! That is a dysfunctional phone, but I am told getting another one does not guarantee any change. What are we to do???

0 Likes
Android10
Contributor - Level 3

Try doing a Master Reset on the phone:

Keep in mind that a master reset will erase all your data on the phone.  

Master Reset/Soft Reset: Allows to reset device back to factory settings.
Factory Reset option 1
From the main screen, touch menu tab
Touch Settings
Touch Privacy
Touch Factory Data reset
Touch Reset Phone
Warning: This will erase all data from your phone, including:
Your Google account 
System and application data and settings 
Downloaded Applications
It will not erase: Current System software and bundled applications; SD Card files, such as music or Photos

Once the phone is reset, try updating the phone again.   

From the main screen, touch menu tab
Touch Settings
Touch About Phone
Touch System Updates
Then dial *228 send and option 1 on the phone.  

0 Likes
TB1812

I had the same problem.  The only thing that fixed my was to delete the you mail app.  now my problem is I can delete my any of my AOL emails, they keep coming back

0 Likes
wmayo

Tried the Master Reset thing - on the phone with Verizon leading me. It did not help the problem at all.

Phone call to LG just said go to local center, and get replacement. If that doesn't work (after a time or two), they'll have to have me get a different phone (model). LG can't make that call, I would think. That's a Verizon prerogative??

0 Likes