Activating a Smartphone on Verizon Prepaid and transferring my Verizon Postpaid number
ndkeeler83
Enthusiast - Level 2

I have a Verizon Prepaid Moto G (3G) that I purchased at Best Buy about 10 months ago and never activated it on Verizon Prepaid service.  I have just been using it on WiFi.  I would now like to activate the phone on the Verizon $30 smartphone prepaid plan and transfer my number from my current Verizon postpaid account.  Upon visiting my local Verizon store, they told me that since I purchased the device from Best Buy and not directly through Verizon, that the prepaid phone would have to be activated on Verizon Prepaid for 6 months before I could transfer my Postpaid number and use it on Verizon Prepaid.  This doesn't seem right since I would have to be paying for both devices for 6 moths so I don't lose my current mobile number.  The rep also told me that I could not activate on the $30 Prepaid plan in the store, only the $45 or $60 plans.

I have heard that a prepaid phone would need to be activated for 6 months before it could be activated on a postpaid account.  I understand this, but what I am trying to do is a little different, as I am not trying activate the phone on a postpaid plan.  Was the rep at my Verizon store correct in what he told me or should I be able to activate the Moto G and transfer my number over as I am trying to do?  Thanks.

Labels (1)
0 Likes
Re: Activating a Smartphone on Verizon Prepaid and transferring my Verizon Postpaid number
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

We want to get you the best assistance possible. Please reach out to our Prepaid Experts here: 888-294-6804.
CarleyR_VZW
Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport
If my response answered your question please click the "Correct Answer" button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!

0 Likes
Re: Activating a Smartphone on Verizon Prepaid and transferring my Verizon Postpaid number
ndkeeler83
Enthusiast - Level 2

I was hoping to at least get an answer to know if what I want to do is possible before calling into the Prepaid customer support.  Thank you.

0 Likes