Brand New Verizon Iphone XS Max is Locked? How do I Unlock?
pasaphone
Enthusiast - Level 2

I recently purchased a brand new Verizon Iphone XS Max on ebay in an unopened fully sealed box.  I was under the assumption the phone was already unlocked  (as previous Iphones from Verizon had been). Unfortunately, the phone is locked and will not accept my T Mobile SIM card to activate...

I called Verizon who verified that the IMEI had never been activated on the Verizon network and it did not appear on a "black list" of stolen phones.

I pulled a GSX IMEI report and it indicated that it was locked with "2397 - US Verizon Locked Policy"

They suggested that I put in a currently active Verizon SIM card into the phone and 24 hours later it may unlock for use on other GSM networks.  I did that... and it is still locked.

A search of other forums indicated that I should open a prepaid verizon account, activate it and the phone should unlock.. Is this correct?

I opened a new Verizon prepaid account this morning and activated this phone and the sim card.  I tested the phone and everything works on the Verizon network (calls, texts and data).   However.... it is still locked to the Verizon network and won't accept my TMobile sim card.

My understanding is that Verizon does not lock iphones... How can I unlock this for use on other GSM networks (which is why I originally purchased the phone).

Please advise.

Thank you

Labels (1)
0 Likes
Re: Brand New Verizon Iphone XS Max is Locked? How do I Unlock?
Ann154
Community Leader
Community Leader

Verizon Wireless needs to update their Device Unlocking Policy.

See

Here’s the Verizon Carrier Lock Removal Message Pixel 3 Devices Will See (Updated) – Droid Life

Device Unlocking Policies | About Verizon

I'm most definitely NOT a VZW employee. If a post answered your question, please mark it as the answer.

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Pasaphone, it's great to see that you are the owner of a brand new iPhone Xs Max. We understand the importance of having the device to be fully functional at your disposal so let's work together to find out your options.

We do not lock our 4G devices, other than our 4G Phone-in-the-Box Prepaid phones. Our 4G Phone-in-a-Box phones may only be used with Verizon Prepaid service for 1 year from original activation date or until payments in the amount specified on the back of the Phone-in-a-Box package are added to the Prepaid account. This is to partially offset the subsidy we provide to make our 4G Phone-in-the-Box Prepaid phones more affordable to customers.

For more information, you may refer to this link: https://www.verizon.com/about/consumer-safety/device-unlocking-policy 

PLEASE NOTE: “Unlocking” a device refers only to disabling software that would prevent a consumer from attempting to activate a device designed for one carrier’s network on another carrier’s network. Due to differing technologies, an unlocked Verizon Wireless device may not work – or may experience limited functionality – on another carrier’s network.

Takendra_VZW
Follow us on TWITTER @VZWSupport
If my response answered your question please click the _Correct Answer_ button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!!

0 Likes
pasaphone
Enthusiast - Level 2

Thanks Ann. I saw that policy on their website, which would imply that the Iphone XS Max (which is definitely a 4G LTE) phone is not locked.

However, it most definitely is locked... The information on their website is inconsistent with what they're actually doing..

I am hoping someone from Verizon will respond here...?  As I said, I purchased a new prepaid plan to "activate" my new Iphone XS Max on the network and am hoping this will unlock it for use on other carriers...

pasaphone
Enthusiast - Level 2

The phone is locked as of 2:23 PM PST...  I just tried inserting a TMobile and AT&T SIM card and the Iphone indicates the "SIM not supported" message.

I read somewhere these phones are locked 24 hours after activation? Is this the issue? Please advise...

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

I want to make sure that you have a working device at all times and I can assure you that our devices are unlocked, but an iPhone built for the Verizon Wireless network may not work on another network. I am also curious as to if you purchased an iPhone "prepaid" device or was it marketed as such when you bought it. The other difficult part about this situation is that you purchased the device on Ebay which is marketed as a Verizon Wireless device, but you intended to use it on TMobile. Why not find a GSM device to begin with to avoid activation/usage issues?  

Nichole_VZW
If my response answered your question please click the _Correct Answer_ button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!!

0 Likes
pasaphone
Enthusiast - Level 2

Verizon is now locking iphones... Please see the responses from other Verizon reps in other threads which confirms this...  A Verizon built iphone has all of the radio bands necessary to work on other carriers.  The exact same phone that I have (a Verizon Iphone XS MAX) is currently working on Tmobile on my friend's account (he has both a Verizon and TMobile account and he simply swapped SIMS and 24 hours later, the Verizon iphone was unlocked)

I am now asking if what I did to activate it (open a new Verizon prepaid account and activate the phone on it) will Unlock the phone. 

Please advise.

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

I'm truly sorry to hear you're in this situation with that phone pasaphone. I can understand how frustrating it is to have a new phone that you cant use. We can not guarantee that your phone will unlock for a different carrier after using it on our network. You will need to speak with Apple or your carrier to ask if there is anything they can do to help activate our phone with your carrier. 

Does this answer your question? 

Kinquana_VZW

0 Likes
pasaphone
Enthusiast - Level 2

This does not answer my question... All of your answers are inconsistent. 

The first rep indicated that Verizon does not lock phones, now you're saying that the phone is locked...

There must be a correct policy?

vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

pasaphone, thank you for continuing to work with us on the iPhone lock issues. Our apologies for the inconsistencies with the information. Normally all iPhones unlock after 24 hours of activation on a Verizon account. Have you tried backing up https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT203977 any new content on the phone, factory resetting https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201252 the device and testing the SIM cards from other carriers? Please advise.

David_VZW

0 Likes