Buy Prepaid phone as a gift for existing customer
jsmith3865

I thought I could simply dial an 800 number with this question but it seems Verizon does not make that easy.  I am a current Verizon Prepaid customer, but I would like to buy a new phone as a Christmas gift for an another, existing VZW prepaid customer. However for obvious reasons I do not want to route this purchase through their acct or generate emails to them describing their gift in detail. Is there any way to do this? It seems that to place an order you have to logon as the user to initiate the purchase. I can understand that fraud may be a concern here, and am perfectly fine simply gifting the phone and letting the user actually activate the device but I am wondering if this is even possible. I could order it under my account but in the end, it isn't my number that will end up on the phone. My last option is to go looking for an unclocked phone on ebay, but I would really prefer not to go that route though. Thanks

Labels (1)
0 Likes
Re: Buy Prepaid phone as a gift for existing customer
tikibar1
Community Leader
Community Leader

Have you considered gifting a gift card so that the individual can choose/purchase the phone?

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

jsmith3865, purchasing a new device for Christmas for your friend is always a nice gesture! We truly apologize for the experience you have received with attempting to reach out to our customer service team. Your time is valuable and we are here for your support 24/7, here is a helpful link with different ways to contact us http://vz.to/2o0iOz8. Purchasing a new device should always be a smooth and exciting transaction. When purchasing a new prepaid device from our online website or Corporate store location, the device purchase will need to be attached to an active account. We understand that you do not want to attach the new order to your friends account as this purchase will be a gift. You will have the option to order the device under your phone number. Purchasing the device from your phone number will allow you to order the new phone and you do not need to activate this device on your account. Once you receive the new phone you will be able to gift the order to your friend to be able to use on their personal account. Please let us know if this information helps clarify your concern?

Here is a helpful link to review the prepaid cellphone devices that we offer https://vz.to/2I2sBzu.

Also, if you need further assistance with ordering the device you will be able to speak with our sales team by dialing 800-225-5499.
Mon - Fri, 7 AM - 11 PM local time
Sat, 8 AM - 9 PM local time
Sun, 9 AM - 8 PM local time

Sylvia_VZW
Follow us on TWITTER @VZWSupport
If my response answered your question please click the _Correct Answer_ button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!!

0 Likes
jsmith3865

Thanks Sylvia. I just got off the phone with Verizon Sales. Unfortunately they contradicted a few things you said here. Are you able to research a definitive answer for me? I was told by the sales rep I could order the phone under my account, however I am forced to make a choice, add a line, or replace my own phone. We were about to order the phone as an upgrade to my existing phone, thinking I could just activate the recipient's phone number instead of my own. However she put me on hold for a few minutes and came back and told me that trying to activate another phone number on the new phone would likely cause problems. She said my only option would be to go to a Verizon retail store. Unfortunately if I do that, the list price is an additional $50 and I may also be liable to pay a $35 activation fee. Are you able to confirm or clarify? Thanks

0 Likes
jsmith3865

To my knowledge Verizon Gift Cards can only be used to purchase data or pay your bill, not buy hardware

0 Likes
tikibar1
Community Leader
Community Leader

A Verizon Wireless gift card is a payment card that can be used to purchase a new phone

Gift Card FAQs | Verizon Wireless

0 Likes