Can I use Samsung Galaxy S20+ on my current Verizon Prepaid Plan? And at the current rate?
JohnInPortland
Enthusiast - Level 2

My questions are:

1. Can I bring a brand new Samsung Galaxy S20+ purchased from Samsung USA for use on my Verizon 5 GB prepaid plan?
  2. If so, do I still pay the $40 monthly rate (currently paying $25/month thanks to loyalty and autopay discounts), or is a "5G" monthly fee added, even though this plan does not offer 5G?

Notes:

• Verizon does not yet offer the Samsung Galaxy S20 Plus as a prepaid phone option.
  • Samsung occasionally offers a deep discount on this device with a much better trade-in for my current S8+ than Verizon offers.
  • On its USA website, Samsung offers to sell the Samsung Galaxy S20+ "locked" to Verizon - but in the automated hand-off to Verizon during the Samsung purchase process, Verizon refuses to proceed unless you have an Unlimited plan. (That in itself does not mean that the phone will not work with a prepaid plan.) 
  • I know the S20+ is a 5G phone, and Verizon prepaid plans do not yet offer 5G (and Verizon does not offer 5G where I live yet), and that is fine by me - 4G is enough for what I do.
  • My main reasons for wanting the S20+ are i) Large screen size; ii) Camera capabilities; iii) Starting on Android 10 with the prospect of 3 Android upgrades over its life; and iv) Micro-SD expansion card capability. 

If anyone is already using a Samsung Galaxy S20 (any model) with a Verizon prepaid plan, I would be very interested to hear of any issues you may have encountered with this phone and whether you are receiving timely security updates etc.

0 Likes
Re: Can I use Samsung Galaxy S20+ on my current Verizon Prepaid Plan? And at the current rate?
JohnInPortland
Enthusiast - Level 2

Re. my third bullet point above:

No matter which Verizon-locked phone you try to buy on the Samsung website (including ones Verizon sells specifically for its prepaid plans on its own website, usually at higher prices) Verizon still requires a User ID tied to one of its Unlimited plans to proceed with completing the order.

0 Likes