Can I use a prepaid device as a mobile hotspot?
cjohnson58

I have an CDMA iphone 4, already working on another operator, and would like to switch over to Verizon Prepaid at the $60/mo. for unlimited talk/txt/2Gb data.  However, I seem not to be able to get the HOTSPOT feature to be supported. Both online reps and store says with prepay, no hotspot. But I have a prepay $30/mo/2Gb data plan for an ipad that works with HOTSPOT, and I can't find any thing in the terms and conditions that don't allow this feature.  So, what's the deal? if it works with the tablet, why won't it work with an iphone? Can I use the hotspot anyway? if I jailbreak the iphone, and use one of the tethering apps, would I be in violation of the T&C's?  I can't seem to get any clear answers or explanation, and i want to take advantage of the activation fee waiver that's going on right now.

Labels (1)
0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Prepaid and mobile hotspot, whats the deal?
Not applicable

888-294-6804: Verizon Wireless Prepay customer service.

Ask them. (Lets not Assume)

The Terms and Conditions would probably be if you can access the function and it works then all is well and good. Now having said that if you do use it and you get away with it and later on Verizon bills you for the privilege, or worse yet turns off your account what then?

Call them at the number I gave you. Ask them since that is the only true way to get a correct answer.

Good Luck

View solution in original post

0 Likes
Ann154
Community Leader
Community Leader

There are different feature code for different devices.  The iphone is a PHONE. The iPad is not a phone.  The data for data only devices like the iPad has always been treated differently.

I'm most definitely NOT a VZW employee. If a post answered your question, please mark it as the answer.

0 Likes
cjohnson58

is it a violation of the T's&C's if I jailbreak and tether on my iphone on a prepaid? Can anyone show me where it is?  And why is data on a iphone different than data on an ipad?  This smells really fishy to me

0 Likes
Ann154
Community Leader
Community Leader

All I know for sure is it is frowned upon to discuss jailbreaking devices on the Verizon Wireless Community forum because of the here. That is a question better asked on websites that specializes in such discussion.

I'm most definitely NOT a VZW employee. If a post answered your question, please mark it as the answer.

0 Likes
cjohnson58

OK, irregardless of how I do it, if I tether a laptop or other device to an iphone while it's on a prepaid contract, is it a violation of the T's & C's of the contract? Pretty simple question.

If the answer is yes, it's a violation, please refer me to the documentation so I can confirm myself. I believe the answer may be that tethering or using a hotspot may be an unsupported feature (use if your own risk, no support from Verizon), but not against the T's & C's.

0 Likes
cjohnson58

soooo, if no one at Verizon at Verizon wants to answer this, I assume the answer is: Tethering is not against the T's&C's for prepaid. Anyone say otherwise?

0 Likes
Not applicable

888-294-6804: Verizon Wireless Prepay customer service.

Ask them. (Lets not Assume)

The Terms and Conditions would probably be if you can access the function and it works then all is well and good. Now having said that if you do use it and you get away with it and later on Verizon bills you for the privilege, or worse yet turns off your account what then?

Call them at the number I gave you. Ask them since that is the only true way to get a correct answer.

Good Luck

0 Likes