Death of a line holder
akula1

I had a line for my father (a senior), and he passed away. I had used the line for an early upgrade over a year ago. I now want to change the line from a post paid to a prepaid pay as you go line for my mother (same number, and she uses barely 20 minutes a month). I know that VZW policy is to be able to terminate the line upon a death, but I am told I have to pay a early termination fee because of the upgrade. Does this sound right? After three different people on the phone, who do I need to contact about this to make it happen?

Thank you!

John

Labels (1)
Tags (2)
0 Likes
Re: Death of a line holder
rcschnoor
Legend

If the line is still under contract and you want to "change" the line from post paid to prepaid, you will most likely have to pay the ETF since you are in essence STILL keeping the line.

As to cancelling the line because of your father's death without an ETF, was your father's name on the account? If not, I am not sure if this will work as the line was in someone else's name. Maybe if you bring in a death certificate to a Verizon store, they can help you, hopefully without an ETF. If you just want to switch the line to a prepaid, though, I have a feeling you will still be liable for the ETF regardless.

You would probably have a better chance of not having an ETF if you were just to cancel the line and then start up a new line of service on prepaid. You will most likely not be able to keep the same number, though.

0 Likes
bandroid
Enthusiast - Level 3

If you were just disconnecting it, Verizon has a policy saying you can cancel the line with no etf. But since you aren't disconnecting the line, you are giving it to someone on prepaid, you have to pay the early termination fee. What I would suggest doing is canceling the line altogether. Then using the phone for prepaid with a new prepaid number.

0 Likes
SuzyQ
Community Leader
Community Leader

Is this just an add-a-line for $9.99 on your family plan?  Shared minutes?  Keeping the same number?  Can't you just clear out the contacts and let your mother use the phone?

Or was this an individual contract, and now you are trying to cut expenses, so convert the line to a pre-paid?  Would it be feasible to do an AOL on the individual line and put it on your family plan for $9.99 a month and share minutes, since Mom uses so little?  She'd have a phone, and it would cost less than a pre-paid....

0 Likes