Double beep after 40 seconds followed by silence
W-sox

Double beep after 40 seconds followed by silence on most of my calls.  This has been going on since activating my prepaid line.  Tech support cant seem to figure it out and calls to executive relations are not yielding results.  I have replaced my known good handset with a new one but no change.

Anyone ever experience this double beep and the call going silent? 

Can anyone clue me in on how to get real tech support from VZW?

Labels (1)
0 Likes
Re: Double beep after 40 seconds followed by silence
SuzyQ
Community Leader
Community Leader

I'm not sure I understand...you are on a call with someone, having a normal conversation, and 40 seconds into the call you hear a double beep and the call is ended?  Is it always 40 seconds in?  Sounds like some kind of a timer....

You said it happens on "most calls" - is there some pattern?  Is it on incoming calls?  Calls you make?  Certain time of day?  How is your signal when this happens?  Can you get it to happen when you are in the store with a tech who can observe it?

Sorry for all the questions....just trying to get a handle on what is happening!

0 Likes
W-sox

>"I'm not sure I understand...you are on a call with someone, having a normal conversation, and 40 seconds into the call you >hear a double beep and the call is ended?  Is it always 40 seconds in?  Sounds like some kind of a timer...."

its right about 40 seconds, its really hard to tell depending on how quickly I can pull the phone from the side of my face and view the timer.  Some of the calls maybe closer to 30 seconds.  This never ever happens if the call stays connect more than a minute.

>"You said it happens on "most calls" - is there some pattern?  Is it on incoming calls?  Calls you make?  Certain time of day?  >How is your signal when this happens?  Can you get it to happen when you are in the store with a tech who can observe it?

I use this as an incoming line for a personal side business and just not receiving a volume of calls that would aid in determining timing or location.  I live in a small town of 50,000 that is well covered from VZW typically giving me no less than 3 bars of signal and usually 5- I think I have seen the problem at home and office and anytime of day I have been to 2 stores but they didnt have technicians and the reps I talked with had no desire to investigate.  My signal is great during call problems.

>"Sorry for all the questions...Just trying to get a handle on what is happening!"

The more questions the better.  Also I have switched equipment so it shouldnt be an equipment problem.  Yesterday I received a call that lasted 40 seconds according to my phone, the VZW billing information shows that call never connected. 

A final note: I also have a post paid number with VZW that I use in the same area without problems

thank you SuzyQ, you have asked more and better question than most of the VZW reps :smileyhappy:

0 Likes
W-sox

a followup:  I looked at my account activity, i am not charged for calls that go dead, they are listed as not connected.  Also i was charged for an incoming call that went to voicemail and was listed as connected, i have not yet checked the VM and was billed the same time as the incoming call.  i wasnt aware of the missed call until an hour or so later

0 Likes
SuzyQ
Community Leader
Community Leader

W-sox wrote:

a followup:  I looked at my account activity, i am not charged for calls that go dead, they are listed as not connected. That's interesting - so you are not charged for those "double beep" calls, yet you DO talk to someone for a bit?  Sounds like you DO get a connection but somehow the network isn't seeing it, then drops it, but you aren't billed for it.  Keep all your calls less than a minute and have a really low bill!  :smileyvery-happy:  J/K - it must be very annoying to have calls cut off like that.  :smileysad:

Also i was charged for an incoming call that went to voicemail and was listed as connected, i have not yet checked the VM and was billed the same time as the incoming call.  i wasnt aware of the missed call until an hour or so later

I really don't know why this is happening - perhaps someone with more experience onthe Pre-paid side has come across this before. 

0 Likes
W-sox

Thank you SuzyQ for the followup. 

you are right it is frutrating to have the call go dead that quickly.  This line is for a personal side business, i advertise the number in the yellow pages so i pay to get customers to call me.  I had ported the number from virgin as i needed better coverage, the problems started after porting to VZW.  I also have a post paid plan for smart phones not having these issues.  I ported the number to ATT on Friday after the 3rd visit to a VZW owned store.

0 Likes
SuzyQ
Community Leader
Community Leader

W-sox wrote:

....I had ported the number from virgin as i needed better coverage, the problems started after porting to VZW. ... I ported the number to ATT on Friday after the 3rd visit to a VZW owned store.

So you no longer have this account with Verion pre-paid?  Let us know how it goes with AT&T....it may have been an issue with the port not fully going through.  See if AT&T works any better for you....good luck!

0 Likes
W-sox

SuzyQ wrote:

W-sox wrote:

...I had ported the number from virgin as I needed better coverage, the problems started after porting to VZW. ... I ported the number to ATT on Friday after the 3rd visit to a VZW owned store.

So you no longer have this account with Verion pre-paid?  Let us know how it goes with AT&T....it may have been an issue with the port not fully going through.  See if AT&T works any better for you....good luck!

I think you are right SuzyQ, the problem was related to the port.  It is disappointing that VZW couldn't figure this out. 

AT&T is working just fine in keeping the calls connected.   Unfortunately I get no service inside my girlfriend house, the signal goes from 3 bars in her front yard to no service when I enter her home.  This is probably better than not being able to communicate with callers on VZW though.  My preference would be to use VZW network but not at the cost of potential customers as this line is used for my personal side business.

Thanks again SuzyQ, while I understand this is a community forum you are clearly putting the VZW moderators to shame by being very active here and more knowledgeable than moderators

0 Likes
SuzyQ
Community Leader
Community Leader

W-sox wrote:

I think you are right SuzyQ, the problem was related to the port.  It is disappointing that VZW couldn't figure this out. 

You didn't mention the port in the original post - if you had I would have suspected that the port had not fully completed and that was causing the issues.  But you never mentioned porting, so I didn't even consider that as a possibility...  :::note to self::: NEVER ASSUME ANYTHING!!!!  And consider everything.....  :smileyvery-happy:

0 Likes