Got an extra 2GB data usage and in a matter of minutes 1/4 of it was gone and we were hooked to the wi-fi.
TMJZTJ

I got a '2 GB bonus' from Verizon for their major screw-ups. After they added the 2 GB to my account .491 was used up in a matter of minutes. That is almost a quarter of the 2 GB! That is 491,000 KB! AND, the three phones on the plan were all connected to Wi-Fi and no one was using their phone to stream or do anything. The next day the 2 GB went down another 58,0000 KB, and the next 57,000 KB. This is when we are all connected to Wi-Fi! I've talked to two technical Reps and they both say something different. The reasons they give are outrageous. One technical guy thought something was wrong and he was going to investigate and call back.  He did not call back. The rep I just talked to, Erica, was giving me some story about applications running in the background using up data....and, that's when we are connected to the Wi-Fi! I told her I didn't believe that story because if that was true our total data plan would run out at the beginning of the month! I am not getting an answer and don't know who to talk to next. (I had a data use problem a few years ago and got the same sort of run around.) There is something that is not right.

By the way - looking up what uses data I saw on the average FB uses 50 KB to update, Twitter about 70 KB, and Instagram up to 150 KB. I know these are averages, but we'd have to update all day long to use only a fraction of what Verizon is taking away from my data package.

Verizon is so frustrating. Everyone you talk to has a different answer and sometimes they are downright wrong. One rep said I used data even if I was hooked to the wi-fi and my texts used data!

Any help would be appreciated.

Labels (1)
0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Got an extra 2GB data usage and in a matter of minutes 1/4 of it was gone and we were hooked to the wi-fi.
Weth
Legend

The iPhone reports cellular data usage for each app and system service under Settings/Cellular. You should be able to pinpoint which app(s) is using the data, then turn off that apps use of cellular data.

Some of your averages for updates, especially Facebook, are way low by today's standards. Facebook is a big user of data and a cause of a lot of people's usage concerns.

Regarding the wifi/cellular link. It is true the iPhone will disconnect from wifi when in sleep mode. It can also take a bit to reconnect when awakened (few seconds). If you do not notice it is not yet reconnected to wifi and start a download or update, it will continue on cellular until that update is complete. I have my family turn on the iPhone and make sure they see the wifi symbol at the top before starting action. It is also possible to have dead zones in your house where wifi is obstructed for physical or electrical reasons, and I have seen disconnects in situations like this and use cellular data.

View solution in original post

Re: Got an extra 2GB data usage and in a matter of minutes 1/4 of it was gone and we were hooked to the wi-fi.
Snn5
Legend

TMJZTJ wrote:

Verizon is so frustrating. Everyone you talk to has a different answer and sometimes they are downright wrong. One rep said I used data even if I was hooked to the wi-fi and my texts used data!

Any help would be appreciated.

It's true that data is used if data is on even with WiFi, but only to send and receive MMS and random update checks for Verizon-related apps.  Still, the brunt of the data use should still be on WiFi.  What phone are you using on this Prepaid Plan?

0 Likes
TMJZTJ

I’m sorry …..I may have written under a topic that said prepaid plans. I do not have a prepaid plan. I have an account with Verizon and have had for many years.

We are using 3 iPhones (iPhone 5, iPhone 5S, iPhone6). My 18 year old daughter uses most of the data, but monitors it like a hawk. She has an application on her phone to check the data because she’s not allowed to go over. She was the one that noticed an immediate draw done on the 2 GB bonus.

Thank you for your interest in helping.

0 Likes
Snn5
Legend

Well, I wonder if they added that data when you were either over or near over the monthly amount of data and the overages caught up to the 2GB added and the overages came out of that 2GB extra.

Still, iPhones are notorious for disconnecting from WiFi when idle and reverting to Mobile Data to save battery.  that might have happened, considering you have 3 iPhones on the account.  Just a thought.

Of course, as soon as you press the power button and it wakes up, it instantly reconnects.  I don't think this is the case if plugged in and charging...wifi will stay connected.

0 Likes
TMJZTJ

No, we weren’t at the bitter end of our data….we had about 4 GB left besides the 2 GB bonus. (I read they deduct data use first from the bonus.)

My daughter has most of the apps on her phone. I have some and my husband hardly has any and doesn’t do much on his phone.

That is an awful lot of data use when we are connected to the wi-fi – almost 500,000 KB! And, it showed up almost immediately against the 2 GB bonus. This happened in the morning when all our phones are pretty much fully charged. Like I said, if this happened all the time we would never last a month with our data plan.

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

TMJZT Allow us to chime in here. We never want customers to feel worried about their data usage. When you're connected to wifi, do you have your cellular data turned off? This is because the device can pick up on the stronger signal or the wifi connection may time out.

SheritaH_VZW
Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport
If my response answered your question please click the �Correct Answer� button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!!

0 Likes
TMJZTJ

We did not have the cellular data turned off when we noticed the problem, but we do now. This is a NEW thing though. We have NEVER had data used up so quickly, so to blame it on this wi-fi/cellular data thing is not going to work for me. I do NOT think that is the answer. If it was the case we would run out of data all the time and we do not. We have a strong wi-fi signal here at my workplace. My daughter is working for me this summer so I know she wasn’t streaming or using high volumes of data because she was working. Her phone was also connected to the wi-fi. 500,000 KB data usage in a short period of time (matter of minutes) is ridiculous – when you aren’t using the phone apps and you are hooked up to the wi-fi! We can’t use that much ‘in the background’ as some reps have suggested. There is something wrong with the way Verizon is deducting the data. Maybe there is a glitch. I am used to troubleshooting. I work in manufacturing, and I’ve dealt with many companies who say they don’t have a problem, until they finally discover they were the ones at fault (all I want is the problem to be solved so we can get on with our job and get quality parts) . I don’t give up when I think something is wrong and most of the Verizon people keep telling me the say thing, which does NOT make sense. (I did have one technical rep who said something isn’t right, but he didn’t call me back the next day to let me know what he found out, as promised.)

I am also discouraged when someone tells me they will call me back and do not. It only takes a little ‘more’ to be the best, and that’s not what I am getting from Verizon. I keep getting the ‘typical responses’ that may be the answer to some situations, but it is not the answer to mine. I’ve been a customer for many many years. Maybe it’s time for me to move on.

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

I understand your concern, TMJZTJ. As SNN5 and Sherita mentioned, iPhones will revert to Cellular Data after periods dormancy as a means to conserve battery life. To confirm, are the notifications of the 500,000 KB (500MB) usage details being viewed through My Verizon?

If yes, these are time blocks running from that time frame, over to the next time frame. (It is not from just one point of use. These encompass usage points starting from that time frame.

After disabling Mobile Data, are you noticing a difference on usage reporting?

If you check under Settings>Cellular>Scroll down> there is a listing of apps that are set to update via mobile data. Are most of those checked off?

NicandroN_VZW
If my response answered your question please click the �Correct Answer� button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!!

0 Likes
TMJZTJ

I saw the usage drop almost immediately when I went to My Verizon. I was checking if the 2 GB was added to my data package (because my data package was supposed to be changed on June 2 and didn’t get done). When I checked to see if it was indeed added, I noticed the 2 GB’s was lowered by 491,0000 KB (I’ve been rounding to 500,000 KB). That was in a matter of minutes - around 10 a.m. Central time. All the phones on my plan were hooked to the wi-fi. You can’t tell me in a matter of minutes when none of us were actively using any applications that somehow we burned up almost 500,000 KB??????? I’ve noticed Verizon dings us each morning (before 10 a.m.) for about 57,000 KB. Why? We are hooked up to a wi-fi almost always unless we are driving. You are not really answering my questions. You keep saying the same things. The technical person who was supposed to check hasn’t gotten back to me (again). This is nonsense……..if we got dinged for 500,000 every day we’d never have any data left. WHAT ARE YOUR TIME BLOCKS? FROM WHAT TIME TO WHAT TIME? It still DOES NOT compute!!

It doesn’t matter if my cellular data is off our not……..that is NOT going to answer the question of how we burned up almost 500,000 KB in a matter of minutes, we when were all hooked to the wi-fi and no one was using their phones and had not used their phones. I noticed Verizon dings us each morning early for about 57,0000 KB. Now how could they ding me according to your “Time Blocks” for 500,000 KB in a relatively short period of time? It DOES NOT compute!! Just pretend you are me and you don’t work for Verizon and tell me it make sense .

It seems to me Verizon is finding a way to ‘use up’ the data and make us buy more (I get a 2 GB bonus because of poor customer service – but bang - ¼ of it’s gone in a matter of minutes!! Hmm) . You have so many reasons why YOU THINK it’s used up but they do not make sense to my particular problem.

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Clearly there's a concern that warrants our immediate attention. We would like to perform a remote diagnostic for you. Be on the look out for a private message from us so we can proceed.

ArnettH_VZW

0 Likes