I have grandfathered Alltel plan and need new phone. Will I lose money in my account?
BettyLynn
Enthusiast - Level 1

Verizon store told me because I have a grandfathered plan I have to buy phone marked Alltel from pawn shop or ebay in order to keep my existing plan.  This seems wrong.  Were they correct?

Labels (1)
0 Likes
Re: I have grandfathered Alltel plan and need new phone. Will I lose money in my account?
BettyLynn
Enthusiast - Level 1

Additional information since I need to do something ASAP.  My current phone is Kyocera KX16.  I have grandfathered simple freedom plan.  Account balance is a little over $150 and is good until Jan. 20,2017.  I am currently getting only 1 to 2 bars sitting outside and calls go in and out with unable to hear on either end.  If it is because Verizon is trying to get rid of these old accounts I can't see trying to track down an old phone.  This phone is primarily for emergencies and to keep in touch with some family members.  Verizon CS please help me out.

0 Likes
Re: I have grandfathered Alltel plan and need new phone. Will I lose money in my account?
mama23dogs
Legend

I Found several on Amazon

image.pngimage.pngimage.png

BettyLynn
Enthusiast - Level 1

Thank you for trying to help mama23dogs.  However I am concerned that Verizon is trying to get old Alltel customers to go away and it might be a waste of money to buy an old Alltel phone and the service may not be any better.  I thought this forum was to get help from Verizon support and I notice they have offered none.  I read on another website that Verizon doesn't like their prepaid accounts.   If Verizon customer service would just respond I think we could work something out.  Our home telephone service and internet connection was with Verizon until they gave us away to Frontier.  I am beginning to feel unwanted!  One or two bars of service is unacceptable.  I am in zipcode 29566 if CS happens to read this.

Again thanks for trying to help.

0 Likes
Re: I have grandfathered Alltel plan and need new phone.  Will I lose money in my account?
mama23dogs
Legend

Since you are in for $150 they won't refund, a $10 replacement is a decent investment to find out if it's the phone or network.

FRom my research, your phone was released in 2006 and is 2G only.  I know ATT is phasing 2G out in favor of 3 G and better.  Verizon has a longer range planing on phasing out by 2021.  The coverage maps don't even cover 2G service.   http://r.search.yahoo.com/_ylt=AwrBT9G12uBWwdAAhRPBGOd_;_ylu=X3oDMTBzdWd2cWI5BGNvbG8DYmYxBHBvcwMxMAR...

Just upgrading to a 3G phone might be a substantial improvement.

IF you don't mind my asking, how much do you pay for monthly service?

0 Likes
BettyLynn
Enthusiast - Level 1

Every January I buy $100 worth of minutes and it more than lasts me a year.   I truly am not a telephone person.  There is no monthly fee. 

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

We want you to have the best plan for your usage and save money monthly. What device are you interested in?
LauraL_VZW
Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport
If my response answered your question please click the "Correct Answer" button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Hi Mama23dogs, I can see the efforts you are doing to get a new device. Let me look into any available options with getting a new phone while remaining on your Alltel plan. Are you on prepaid service or post paid service? Which exact plan are you on? Share more details as we want to look into the best options for getting a good device.
EdwinW_VZW
Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport
If my response answered your question please click the �Correct Answer� button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!!

0 Likes
dtx

Verizon customer support will not help us account holders of the granfathered Alltel prepaid.  As you see in this thread the stupid and worthless responses that they gave.
Back then in 2016 you likely could have gotten a cheap and new Verizon prepaid phone from Walmart and used *228 to activate your existing Alltel number and plan on it.      

I had previously bought used Alltel prepaid phone off Ebay  and put my plan on it. 

Back in 2017 I had bought a new Verizon prepaid Samsung Gusto 3 from Walmart.  I put my Alltel prepaid number and plan on it using *228 no problem as it should be.  

But now in 2019 Verizon has taken measures to block activation of any phone on your grandfathered Alltel prepaid.   Yet they take your money to keep your account active.  This is so wrong.   Anyone with this type of grandfathered plan should file a case with Verizon  and if things do not improve fast, file complaints with the FCC and Federal Trade Commission.      Verizon must take responsiblity for service they agreed upon.

0 Likes
boringusername
Master - Level 1

@dtx wrote:

Verizon customer support will not help us account holders of the granfathered Alltel prepaid.  As you see in this thread the stupid and worthless responses that they gave.
Back then in 2016 you likely could have gotten a cheap and new Verizon prepaid phone from Walmart and used *228 to activate your existing Alltel number and plan on it.      

I had previously bought used Alltel prepaid phone off Ebay  and put my plan on it. 

Back in 2017 I had bought a new Verizon prepaid Samsung Gusto 3 from Walmart.  I put my Alltel prepaid number and plan on it using *228 no problem as it should be.  

But now in 2019 Verizon has taken measures to block activation of any phone on your grandfathered Alltel prepaid.   Yet they take your money to keep your account active.  This is so wrong.   Anyone with this type of grandfathered plan should file a case with Verizon  and if things do not improve fast, file complaints with the FCC and Federal Trade Commission.      Verizon must take responsiblity for service they agreed upon.

Grandfathered does not mean FOREVER. FCC complaint won't do any good. Verizon is shutting down the CDMA network at the end of 2019. Verizon is allowed to do this. That spectrum is going to be put to better use on LTE. Unless a phones had both LTE and HD calling capabillites it will not function after Dec 31 2019. And Verizon stopped activating non-compliant phones 8 months ago.

0 Likes