Need a plan and a hardware for US-visit for internet access
usa_visitor

Hello,

I need your help please:

In September/October we plan our next US visit (from East coast going west to Nebraska).

We have a laptop computer and 2 Galaxy S3 phones and we would like to have Internet access. For our 2 S3 phones we will get some really good and cheap SIM-cards from a different US provider. What I have in mind is a USB-stick for the laptop computer which allows Internet access. I also have software to make the laptop computer work as an Access Point to (for the S3 phones).

My problem is that I do not really understand the plans Verizon is offering...

I need a plan (and I guess a hardware..) without a contract (I do not live in the States...) and it would be great to have the possibility to add more data-volumes online when there is not much left. Because i also work with my computer I would like to have as much data volumes as possible (5 GB and more would be great).

I have something like this (USB-Stick with a SIM card and such a pre-paid-plan for Austria and it works great).

Computer: Windows 7 64-bit.

I hope I could tell you what I need and you understand my English Smiley Happy - Sorry for possible mistakes

If you need more information, please let me know!

Thanks a lot!

Labels (1)
0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Need a plan and a hardware for US-visit for internet access
Ann154
Community Leader
Community Leader

Verizon Wireless does offer prepaid mobile broadband devices and service. You will probably have to buy a device when you get here since other devices would be incompatible with the network.

At the top of the website, click "Shop" and select prepaid. See what options are available for mobile broadband and feel to ask questions about what you find if you don't understand something.

I'm most definitely NOT a VZW employee. If a post answered your question, please mark it as the answer.

View solution in original post

0 Likes
Ann154
Community Leader
Community Leader

Are these GSM devices that are SIM unlocked?

If yes, you might want to consider looking at the US based GSM carriers (AT&T, T-Mobile and some regional carriers). Verizon Wireless uses CDMA for their voice network and is not compatible with unlocked GSM devices.

Enjoy your trip. Eastern Nebraska and Iowa should be pretty that time of year with leaves changing and fall weather conditions.

I'm most definitely NOT a VZW employee. If a post answered your question, please mark it as the answer.

0 Likes
usa_visitor

Thanks.

Our S3 phones are unlocked and we hat this phone provider last time we visited the US in Alaska and Nebraska and were surprised that it nearly worked everywhere and pretty cheap and a very helpful service too.

But I do not need it for the phones, I need it for the computer, which can be used as a WLAN hotspot with my software too.

AT&T does not offer prepaid any more as far as I have seen. T-Mobile has a low coverage on the maps I saw. Verizon looks much better and they offer such pre-paid plans. But which one is the one I need? I do not really understand them for whatever reason. And what hardware? Do I need the hardware of Verizon or can I for example buy also a mobile AP?

Yes it will be pretty with these colourful leaves Smiley Happy We had that also one day in Arkansas, was wonderful!

0 Likes
Ann154
Community Leader
Community Leader

Verizon Wireless does offer prepaid mobile broadband devices and service. You will probably have to buy a device when you get here since other devices would be incompatible with the network.

At the top of the website, click "Shop" and select prepaid. See what options are available for mobile broadband and feel to ask questions about what you find if you don't understand something.

0 Likes
Ann154
Community Leader
Community Leader

AT&T does still have prepaid data plans for USB modem and mobile hotspots.

0 Likes
usa_visitor

Thanks but:

1) I can not find how to buy this plan here: http://support.verizonwireless.com/clc/faqs/VZAccess/broadbandaccess_daypass.html ... any idea how that works?? If I check here: http://www.verizonwireless.com/wcms/consumer/shop/prepaid.html I just find the Prepaid Jetpack which could be what I am looking for but they offer it just with this device as a Access Point for 99,-! Does it really only work with this expensive device?? A common USB-stick for about 20,- would be fine with me... but I can not find something like this. $ 90,- for 10 GB and 99,- for the hardware?! I did not want to buy Veriuzon Smiley Happy. 90 for the 10 GB are OK as far as I have seen. Prices are high in the States for Internet (: but 99,- for the hardware....

2) I can not find at AT&T prepaid plans -  do you maybe have the link for it please? If I check here http://www.att.com/shop/wireless.html and enter the area code I need it for: no service....

I checked with google for hours in the last days but I did found 1 possibility to buy a USB stick together with a SIM card for my laptop... I found dozens of offers for phones and less data volumes (500 MB up to 2.000) but no USB stick and providers I doubt I can have access with in Nebraska/Missouri...

Why is it so difficult to find something like this for the US? It is very common here in Europe. So many people are asking the same questions in German forums before traveling to the US... A huge market the US providers will miss.

What do you think is a better provider for me in Nebraska/Missouri? AT&T (they say no service there.....) or Verizon? Verizon shows on their map that they cover Nebraska. T-Home is just in big cities OK as far as I have read.

Thanks a lot!!

0 Likes
Ann154
Community Leader
Community Leader

If you look under the "view plan details" on http://www.verizonwireless.com/b2c/prepay/processPrePayRequest.do?&type=ppjetpack you can see the plans for prepaid mobile broadband.  I don't if there any USB modems available through Verizon Wireless or if you can find a used one elsewhere.

Here is a link to the prepaid data device plans from AT&T. http://www.att.com/shop/wireless/plans/dataplans.html AT&T has service in the cities of Missouri and eastern Nebraska, but not much outside of those cities.

US Cellular, which is a regional carrier might work for Nebraska, but I don't know much about their coverage in Missouri.  There is a regional GSM carrier called Viaero in Central and Western Nebraska, but they don't cover Omaha except for roaming.

0 Likes