Plan change question?
LoTech2000

Currently we have a Family Plan that includes the primary line and one additional line.  The additional line is for my phone.  We are well past our required contract time.

The primary on the account would like to cancel the Family Plan with Verizon and switch to another company's prepaid plan.  I would like to stick with Verizon and keep my current phone, a Motorola Razr V3c (I know it's really old but works perfect for my needs).  I'm thinking of going with Verizon's $50/month prepaid plan.

Can I easily dropped my line (I'm the "additional line" on our plan) from our current Family Plan and switch to my own plan, keeping my current phone and phone number?  I'm guessing we would need to switch my line first before the primary account holder cancels the plan and switches to another service provider?

Suggestions/guidance is greatly appreciated.  I'm trying to educate myself as much as possible before going to the Verizon store.

Labels (1)
0 Likes
Re: Plan change question?
Not applicable

You can switch to your own plan. Have you checked to see if they will let you use your phone on prepaid? Once you have your own plan they can end theirs anytime since they are not under contract. If they want to keep their number I'd get the service on the prepaid line first and port the number over before canceling the Verizon account.

0 Likes
LoTech2000

Thanks for the info.

I don't know if I they will let me use my current phone with a prepaid plan.  I need to contact Verizon to find out and get a better idea of what their plans include.  Looking at the information online there's alot of confusing information that seems to be contradictory at times.  For instance, the $50 prepaid plan says unlimited talk and text, but in the details it appears that although long distance is included there are "airtime charges" (whatever that is) and roaming charges.  It's extremely frustrating trying to figure out exactly what these plans include and what the heck you will end up paying!

All I want is a simple plan that will allow me make a friggin phone call at a reasonable price with no surprises when it comes time to pay the bill!

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Hi LoTech2000!

I love our prepaid plans because we have options for everyone. In most cases, a basic device is compatible with our $50 prepaid plan. Have you had a chance to visit the store for assistance? Let me know if you need additional help.

Thanks,
AdamE_VZW
Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport

0 Likes
LoTech2000

Thanks for the response.

I did get a chance to go the Verizon store early this month and get my questions answered. I rarely text and don’t use data so I ended up with a basic share plan ($40) that gives me essentially the same features I had before and allowed me to keep my phone. Also, since I didn’t get a new phone I didn’t have to enter into a new contract.

0 Likes