Prepaid Expiration Date Should Be AFTER 30 Days, Shouldn't It?
muse2005
Enthusiast - Level 2

I don't understand this, so maybe someone can explain this to me...

I activated my phone and put $45 on it (Allset plan) on November 3.  I did this specifically on that date because I get paid on the 3rd of each month.  So, logically, I would like to PAY on the 3rd of each month.

I see my plan goes from Nov 3- Dec 2.  I had asked a rep online - while he was helping me with another unrelated issue - if this meant my next payment would be due Dec 3.  He said no, it means my phone will be shut off on Dec 3 if I haven't paid my next payment by Dec 2.

I calculated it out several months and, at this rate, my due date will be pushed up 1 day per month until the date will have changed so many times it will be meaningless.  Why is the 30th day the day you have to pay, and not the day after that?  It's a 30 day plan, after all.

Look I am not trying to be difficult but I am on a very tight budget and these dates are throwing me off.

Anyone help?

Labels (1)
0 Likes
Re: Prepaid Expiration Date Should Be AFTER 30 Days, Shouldn't It?
deloused
Master - Level 3

Yes it does expire after 30 days. November 3- December 2 is 30 days. If you wait until December 3rd, which is the 31st day, your service would expire because that's past 30 days.

0 Likes
muse2005
Enthusiast - Level 2

If the 30th day is Dec 2, which I agree it is, and the service is for 30 days, do you not think then that the 30th day is included in this?  In other words, your payment then would be due on the first day of the next cycle, which would be Dec 3 or the "31st day".

Otherwise, this is asking the client to pay for Nov 3 through Dec 1, which is 29 days.  Then pay for the next cycle on the 30th day of that cycle!   It makes more sense to me that the client is paying for a full 30 days (Nov 2- Dec 2), then pays for the next 30 day cycle on the day after that.  In other words, the last fully paid day of the 30 day cycle is Dec 2, so payment would be due Dec 3 at 12:01.

So if you paid on Dec 3 at 12:01 (hypothetically), that ought to start the new billing cylce.  If you do not pay by 12:01, then your service is shut off.  My check goes in at 12:01 on Dec 3, why isn't that good enough?

The only other solution is that I budget for 2 payments per month at some point, and I cannot afford to do that.  For instance, paying $45 on Nov 3, as I did, then paying another $45 on Dec 2, one day before I get paid again.  So that means I will have not only paid for 29 days, but will have paid twice in one pay period.

It doesn't make sense to me.

0 Likes
deloused
Master - Level 3

I agree with your reasoning, just wanted to help clarify how their billing system works so you can avoid any sticky situation. My Mom budgets like that due to disability, so I see what she goes thru. I do pay for her phone tho to help with that budgets are rough!

0 Likes
muse2005
Enthusiast - Level 2

Exactly.  I am on disability.  So does this mean that, no matter what, I need to make another payment on Dec 2?  It's odd because I have no other bills that are like this.   They are due on the same date each month.

So then I will have to make 2 payments from one month's income.  I hadn't planned on that, and that's why I waited to activate the phone and pay the bill on Nov 3.  I mean, I actually bought the phone and waited 2 weeks to activate it for this very reason.  Now it seems as if I did this in vain.

It's frustrating.  My phone will actually shut off on Dec 2 then?  That means I will have to make a payment...tomorrow.

Oh dear.

0 Likes
valquiria
Contributor - Level 1

When you pay a monthly  prepaid plan you are paying in advance for 30 days, no a calendar month.

If you pay today you'll have until the next 30 days. Some months like December got 31 day others like February got 27.

So your payment day will not allways be the same.

BB

muse2005
Enthusiast - Level 2

What happened this billing cycle, since it kept saying the period ended Dec

2, was I put money on the phone Dec 1, then watched to see when it

applied.

Sigh.

It didn't apply until Dec 4... So I just don't get it, I probably will

never understand it, but I will watch the cycles until I figure out how to

budget for it.

So simple, all I wanted was the due date to be the 3rd of each month. Oh

well.

On Sun, Dec 7, 2014 at 3:35 PM, valquiria <forums@verizonwireless.com>

0 Likes
Not applicable

How can you have a due date the is the same date each month when not all months have 30 days? In fact 7 months have 31 days. The plans are for 30 days not monthly. If you due date is Dec 3rd then your due date in Jan would be the 2nd since Dec has 31 days. Your due date in February would be Feb 1st for the same reason. Your due date in March would be the 3rd again because February has 28 days but in April it would be the 2nd, then May 2nd, June the 1st, July 1st, July 31st, August 30, Sept 29, Oct 29, Nov 28.

0 Likes
muse2005
Enthusiast - Level 2

Every other bill I have has the same due date each month - my electric

bill, water bill, rent, and so on.

I don't see that it's unreasonable to have the same due date each month.

Why phone service should be any different is beyond me. As far as

different months have different number of days, even with the same due date

each month, it all evens out in time.

This has got to be one of the weirder discussions I have had on a forum,

and I thank the helpful ones for their responses.

0 Likes
Not applicable

Those are MONTHLY bills not 30 day bills. The pre-paid plan CLEARLY state they are for 30 days. Which part are you not getting? If you want a bill that's due on the same day each month I suggest getting on a post paid plan.