Prepaid, changing device.
Blued45

Hi.  We have had prepaid wireless with Verizon for probably over a year.  My wife brought her own phone  and I bought one through Verizon.  My wife's phone is malfunctioning and needs to be replaced.  I won't get into the hassle of trying to get a replacement through Verizon while keeping the existing phone number and account without paying full retail for the phone.  That aside, we bought a current, new in the box Verizon prepaid phone from an outside seller.  It's a Motorola g play.  My understanding is that the phone will come with a sim card, pre-installed. I assume it's removable. 

Here is my question ... What is the best way of trying to get this phone activated as the replacement for the existing phone?  I'd like to simply be able to go online and use the switch device feature on my account page of the website, if possible.  But should I put the sim from the current phone into the new phone?  Or, should I try it with the sim that comes pre-installed in the new phone?  I am hoping to avoid having to go to a Verizon wireless store to try and do this.  And finally, I should mention that I am not counting on this new phone being able to be swapped over easily, if at all.  I have had a long history with Verizon, Verizon wireless on contract and now Verizon prepaid.  It's been a rocky relationship.

Any other helpfull advice also appreciated.  Thanks

Labels (1)
0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Prepaid, changing device.
Ann154
Community Leader
Community Leader

I'm not sure Verizon Cloud is available for prepaid customers.

If your contacts are saved to the Google account, they will transfer between devices. Applications too are available once you sign into your Google account. The application data might not transfer if the application doesn't support it or the OS version didn't support it. Text messages can be transferred using one of the many SMS Backup applications available in the Play Store. Photos stored on Google Photos transfer easily too once you are signed into the Google account.

I'm most definitely NOT a VZW employee. If a post answered your question, please mark it as the answer.

View solution in original post

0 Likes
Ann154
Community Leader
Community Leader

You would be better off to call the prepaid customer service number at 1.888.294.6804 to get assistance with transferring your account to the new phone.

I'm most definitely NOT a VZW employee. If a post answered your question, please mark it as the answer.

0 Likes
Blued45

With how helpful (sarcasm) they have been so far, that wouldn't be my first choice.   But, I'll keep it in mind to try in order to avoid having to go to a Verizon store.  I really want this to work out.  I really like my little Droid mini and the network and coverage has been fine.   I came back to VW because the coverage is much better than Virgin M. with whom we couldn't get service at all when we visit our daughter.  But my goodness, Verizon has lost over 300K customers in the first quarter.  I'm sure some of it has to do with data/price and that they are CDMA contrasted with all the availability of unlocked devices for GMA networks.  But also, they really need to work on the CS and making things better AND simpler for their customers.

Thanks 

0 Likes
Ann154
Community Leader
Community Leader

Unfortunately the reps that roam this community are geared only to assist with postpaid accounts and they would have directed you to the prepaid customer service number anyway. I know it isn't ideal for many customers to call in to switch the phone, but I have also read a few threads here on the community where the prepaid customer switched from one phone to another and lost all the existing balance they had on their account and in some cases it activated a new number on the new phone instead of transferring their previously activated number over. By directing to the prepaid customer service number immediately, it was an attempt for you to avoid the same issues that others have described on the community.

0 Likes
Blued45

Hi Ann154.   That's the approach I will take then.  I'm not looking forward to it but I'll just call in when we get the phone.   

Thanks

0 Likes
Blued45

Just an update.  Got the phone today and did the switch online.  There was an option to change the phone to one gotten from another party (paraphrasing).   I choose that option.  Entered MEID.   And chose option to use the sim card from the existing phone (both are LTE phones).    It transferred no problem recognizing new phone model and transferring phone number and existing plan and balance.  But it did not transfer contacts and applications.  I'm not sure but I think you have to use the Verizon Cloud now to do it.  We do not (and wont) use the Cloud so did not have the existing contacts and apps on the Cloud.  At any rate, Google transferred over the Google account stuff and we transferred contacts over with the SD card.  The other apps are not critical and there are only a few that we will just download again.  Biggest pain is setting up the pop email again.  I have to check but I don't think that carried over.

Anyway,  not the best option for a power user but again, I think uploading to Verizon Cloud first probably would have taken care of it.  I think anyway.

Once again, thanks for the help.

0 Likes
Ann154
Community Leader
Community Leader

I'm not sure Verizon Cloud is available for prepaid customers.

If your contacts are saved to the Google account, they will transfer between devices. Applications too are available once you sign into your Google account. The application data might not transfer if the application doesn't support it or the OS version didn't support it. Text messages can be transferred using one of the many SMS Backup applications available in the Play Store. Photos stored on Google Photos transfer easily too once you are signed into the Google account.

0 Likes
lexrivs0007

was there any fee for switching? I just ordered an iphone and currently have an android but It us now shut off and i would like to switch my account and plan to the iPhone i just dont know if there will be a fee

0 Likes