Q: Any Free Music Streaming (Apps) for Pre Paid plans?
andradgreene2016
Enthusiast - Level 2

Q: Any Free Music Streaming (Apps) for Pre Paid ($45 / month) plans?

I recently switched from MetroPCS (T-mobile) to Verizon Wireless 2 days ago.  Basically, Verizon is the only service available in my local area.

With MetroPCS certain music apps were free and did NOT use mobile dataMusic Unlimited.jpg

Does Verizon offer any free music streaming (Apps) for Pre paid plans ($45 / month)?
I was told this was not available with Pre Paid plans, but contractual plans.

Please give me some insight and feedback.

Thank you.

A. Greene

Labels (1)
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Q: Any Free Music Streaming (Apps) for Pre Paid plans?
Snn5
Legend

To clarify:  There are many free APPS out there, but the DATA used by those apps is not free on Verizon.  No, Verizon doesn't offer Music Freedom (zero-data) on any plan, prepaid or postpaid.  That is exclusive to T-Mobile and its prepaid carriers.

View solution in original post

Re: Q: Any Free Music Streaming (Apps) for Pre Paid plans?
Snn5
Legend

To clarify:  There are many free APPS out there, but the DATA used by those apps is not free on Verizon.  No, Verizon doesn't offer Music Freedom (zero-data) on any plan, prepaid or postpaid.  That is exclusive to T-Mobile and its prepaid carriers.

Re: Re: Q: Any Free Music Streaming (Apps) for Pre Paid plans?
andradgreene2016
Enthusiast - Level 2

Thank you so much for your reply.

Not the answer that I was hoping (LOL), but I thought this was probably the case.

Just out of curiosity, how much data does music streaming use (i.e. Pandora, SiriusXM, etc...) for approximately 2-3 hours per day?

I am rather new to having a smartphone and data usage, and I appreciate any helpful feedback and recommendations.

I have a HTC Desire 626 smartphone.

Thank you, again.

A. Greene

0 Likes
andradgreene2016
Enthusiast - Level 2

Just to double check, please!
Streaming music is FREE on Wi-Fi, correct?

0 Likes
Snn5
Legend

Streaming data is free on WiFi, you are not charged by Verizon, but your ISP may have data caps.  (Comcast)  Data per hour is based on bitrate or quality of stream...better quality, more data.  See this article for an explanation.  Video streaming would use FAR more data than music.

How Much Data Does Your Streaming Music App Eat Up?

Also remember that, whatever these articles and charts say, some are based on the total time you can stream on a 2GB plan for example...they don't take into consideration that you use data for many other things that contribute to data use.

I think that, based on the lower quality streams that you would come very close to maxing out your data on music alone.  Plus, those 64kbps streams are not very good quality.

Of course, some services allow you to save playlists or refresh a music folder nightly, so even though there isn't a huge allocation for many songs, you can at least listen offline.

I used iHeart and Google Play Music when I streamed.  Pandora's song rotation was fairly repetitive.

Re: Re: Re: Q: Any Free Music Streaming (Apps) for Pre Paid plans?
andradgreene2016
Enthusiast - Level 2

Snn5,

I cannot thank you enough for answering my questions and being patient with me.
I have had a flip phone for over 5 + years, and transferring to a smartphone can be intimidating.  I know that these are very basic questions, but I am slowly learning the smartphone/android world. LOL

I don't want to use my data unless it is  necessary (like many others).  I can only afford the $45 pre paid plan at the moment.  I have 2GB of data at the moment (+ 1GB if I enroll in auto pay each month).

I had no idea about Google Play Music, and I am checking it out now.  How does this differ from Pandora and SiriusXM (which is my personal favorite).

Thank you, again.

A. Greene

Re: Re: Re: Q: Any Free Music Streaming (Apps) for Pre Paid plans?
Snn5
Legend

Google play music will let you upload your music from your computer to its cloud and access it anywhere with data or Wi-Fi. They also have a listen now feature like Pandora or SiriusXM with different channels and playlists and genres. This means you can save some of your music on your phone or you can save it in the cloud and access it whenever and wherever and listen to a variety of other stations.

0 Likes