Question about sprint contract buy out
phonebeepboop

Hi all, I've spoken to about 5 customer service reps and recieved different answers, so figured it was worth a try asking here. Recently I switched to verizon from a family plan on sprint. I traded in an iphone 6 and recieved $211 trade in value and have $140 left to pay sprint for an early termination fee. I submitted all of the paperwork for the prepaid card but was denied. When I called to try to figure out why, I was told that because my phone buyout  ($211) was more than my early termination fee ($140), they aren't able to supply the prepaid card for the early termination fee. I guess I am still confused as to why. If they can't they can't, but I still haven't found someone who can explain this to me in terms I understand.

Thanks!

Labels (1)
0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Question about sprint contract buy out
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

phonebeepboop, we always want to set the right expectations for you on our network. For a limited time, you could get "up to" $650.00 when porting your mobile number over to us and trading in your device. Please be advised that the trade-in phone must be the phone last used with your prior carrier. If you are seeking reimbursement for any final balance on a device payment plan with your prior carrier, the trade-in phone must be the phone on which the balance is owed. Promotional Reimbursement consists of Verizon Wireless Visa® Prepaid Card in amount of carriers Early Termination Fee (up to $350) or final device payment plan balance (up to $650), including lease purchase option if applicable, minus device trade-in credit provided by Verizon. I hope that this explanation addresses your concerns. Click the link below for more details:

https://www.yourwirelessswitchcenter.com/faqs/

LasinaH_VZW
Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport
If my response answered your question please click the �Correct Answer� button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!!

View solution in original post

0 Likes
Tidbits
Legend

They should pay it. There has to be some other reason

It's supposed to be up to 350 for termination fees less trade in value.

http://www.verizonwireless.com/news/article/2015/12/no-regrets-switch-to-the-better-network-and-rece...

0 Likes
phonebeepboop

That's what I thought. I spoke to 3 or 4 people before demanding to be transferred to a manager. The woman I spoke to was very short and told me her hands are tied. She said that because my trade in phone value exceeds my early termination fee, I'm not entitled to the prepaid card. I was given $211 for the phone. This was the reason I was given in email when I got the denial. "Not eligible for prepaid card as the device trade-in provided by Verizon exceeded the reimbursement amount." It feels like some really [removal required by the Verizon Wireless Terms of Service] wording to be honest. Had I known this, I would have preferred to sell my phone online and get the prepaid card to buy out my sprint contract.

Thank you,

Verizon Moderator

0 Likes
Tidbits
Legend

So your termination fee is $350?

0 Likes
phonebeepboop

No, my early termination fee is $140. I was given $211 for my phone and paperwork to fill out to get my contract bought out. I was denied because of the quote listed above.

0 Likes
Tidbits
Legend

Interesting. Looking for the FAQ and see what it says, but it does make sense that it does that way though.

It does say up to $350, but yours in $140. From that point it would be

$140- 211 which is a negative number. But let's see what their FAQ says.

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

phonebeepboop,

You deserve the most accurate information regarding your billing concerns. To better explain, I need to get a little more information from you. Just to clarify, your early termination fee is $140.00 and you received $211.00 in a giftcard for trading in your Sprint iPhone 6, correct? Did you also have a lease agreement with Sprint for the device traded in or just an early termination fee?

KatrinaN_VZW
Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport
If my response answered your question please click the 'Correct Answer' button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!

0 Likes
phonebeepboop

No lease agreement, just an early termination fee.

0 Likes
rcschnoor
Legend

It appears you received the correct amount.

Termination fee($140) Less trade in value($211) = -$71. Since the difference is less than zero, you should not receive anything further.

This is why I am amazed that current customers come on here complaining what a great deal this is for new customers while current customers cannot get this "great deal". It is not that great of a deal. If I had only a $140 termination fee and had to turn in a phone in order to recoup that cost which I could sell for MUCH MORE(iPhone 6 currently selling for $350+ on Swappa.com) than that value, I would simply pay the termination fee and sell the phone if I chose to do so on my own and make a LOT more in the deal.

0 Likes
phonebeepboop

Yeah you're right! Had we known, we would have just sold the phone online. The Verizon rep in store led us to believe we would get the phone trade in value in addition to having our contract paid out (separately). It's our fault for not making sure we understood, but it also feels a bit like we were deceived.

0 Likes