Requesting a refund for overcharge
tloewen
Enthusiast - Level 2

Hello Verizon Wireless,

I hope you can please assist me. We have spoken to at least 10 associate's on the phone, a supervisor, had 2 online chat sessions and 4 emails- all saying "talk to someone else/ so and so" or ignoring me and still nothing. I also tried to email the regional director and his "contact" link doesn't work.

I am writing about a prepaid number. To start off I am including as much of the information as possible to quicken this process. My brother and I have both spent hours on the phone with Verizon, been transferred numerous times and hung up on many times. I work at RadioShack and sell Verizon phones. I say this so that you A) know that I understand how the billing and account processes work as well as activation- you do not need to "troubleshoot" the basics with me, and B) realize this is really bad customer service to someone that recommends your products daily.

This is a combination of both mine and brother's words of what is going on. I am typing this because he has been repeatedly told that since the initial account was mine, I have to handle this. I am also writing because he has no experience with these sorts of things. We can easily speak with you at the same time if need be - again- but please do not hang up on us if we do.

The story:

(in my brother's words):

I previously owned a Droid Bionic that was on my sister's account. That went on for 2 years on her contract when i decided i would get my own phone in my name.

I got a Moto G and called Verizon on the phone to handle the transferring of that number to the new phone. This was a difficult process that lead to me being transferred multiple times. At one point i got put on the phone with one guy who was able to do what i wanted, and he managed to transfer the number, create an account, and tie all of that to the new phone. Once that was done, he asked for my credit card info so we could activate the service. I gave him it and i was charged 48.70. That appeared in my bank statement, but not my Verizon account. Because of that, the phone did not work.

I waited until the following morning in case it was things on Verizon's end getting finished up, but that wasn't the case. Since both the online account and the voice system were positive i had no money on my account, i added another 48.70 and everything started working.

On my trip through customer service (Online Chat), we figured out that the original 48.70 was (obviously) not applied to the new account, and possibly applied to the old one the number was previous on.

​Side Note: At the end of the online chat, i requested a text version to be sent to my email. I never got it.

What I think happened (based on hours with looking through the information with various people on the phone and what the bank statement says- notice one paymeny says "VZWRLSS PREPAID" and the other spells it out w/ no prepaid) is that the first charge went through as a POSTPAID payment even though the phone number had already been uncoupled from my postpaid account. This clearly will not work because it is a prepaid phone. Though the phone was activated, it registered as having no funds until the following morning when my brother made a PREPAID payment and it worked immediately. Now unfortunately he is out $48.70 that went to nowhere and the prepaid people won't help because it was a postpaid payment. The postpaid people don't see anything on my account and he never had a postpaid account. We would like a refund- or at least a credit to the phone for next month. Also- to be clear- there was another postpaid payment to settle the account that DID clear. It was for around $90 and is not the same and has nothing to do with the airtime payments. The only other theory I have about what may have happened is that someone typed his phone number in wrong when he made the first payment.

So to be clear, I had a postpaid account with Verizon for 15 years that my brother was on for the last 2. When his contract was up- on the very day of the end of the billing cycle (we had prepared very well ahead of time and this should have gone smoothly) - we had an unactivated Verizon prepaid MotoG in hand ready to go. We had the number ported or unassociated with mine- the postpaid account on the phone with Verizon, on a three way call that took hours with multiple people. A payment was made. Finally the phone "worked" but only text messages and the recording said the account had no funds. The next morning after another payment was made and the phone worked immediately. Since then we have been on the phone and chat with Verizon various times to no avail. In case you need to check my account was on phone number--------. Our phone numbers are still the same and you may call either of us to resolve this issue. I hope I have been clear. I am exact and precise, I do not embellish or over-exaggerate like disgruntled customers that do not understand accounts and billing of are. So when I say, "I was hung up on 4 times", I literally mean it, I am not exaggerating. So please take this email seriously.

Here is a text version of the bank statement, though the actually statement can easily be provided:

08/25/2014 CHK CARD PURCHASE VZWRLSS PREPAID FOLSOM /CA US

-$48.70 $43.53

08/25/2014 CHK CARD PURCHASE VERIZON WRLS E1 ORANGEBURG /NY US

-$48.70 $92.23

08/25/2014 INTERNET TRANSFER FROM ACCT *5051 - SANTANDER PREFERRED CHECKING $30.00

$140.93

Lastly, names and phone numbers have been removed to protect our identities. Please provide us with an email address where we can hash out the specifics and NOT A TWITTER FOLLOW request. I will not handle this private matter on twitter, that is ridiculous.

Ms. Loewen

Labels (1)
0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Requesting a refund for overcharge
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Hello tloewen,

I know exactly how upsetting it is to be charged incorrectly for your service! While we don't have email support, our Prepay Customer Service team can assist in resolving this matter. Please call 888-294-6804 to reach them.

Thank you,
MichelleH_VZW
Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport

View solution in original post

0 Likes
Not applicable

You do realize this customer to customer forum and your talking to other customers not Verizon wireless. Anyways didn't read about your issue because it was too long. If I have to scroll before you get to the point I'm not bothering and neither will many others.

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Hello tloewen,

I know exactly how upsetting it is to be charged incorrectly for your service! While we don't have email support, our Prepay Customer Service team can assist in resolving this matter. Please call 888-294-6804 to reach them.

Thank you,
MichelleH_VZW
Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport

0 Likes
tloewen
Enthusiast - Level 2

I have spoken with them multiple times- they could not help. They said, we don't know let me transfer you- and hung up.... more then once. I am not lying!!

tloewen
Enthusiast - Level 2

I will make a complaint to the better business bureau. I'm out $48 (because I gave it to my brother- we are both college students paying our way through school- except I'm in my 30's and also paying bills). It isn't a lot of money but its a spit in the eyes from Verizon. 15 year customer- so what- spit in the eyes. Sells Verizon phones at her job everyday when she's not working really hard in school- so what- spit in the eyes. I'm also forwarding all of this to our district Verizon rep- see what she says.

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

tloewen,

We can understand how this can be upsetting for you. Especially being a college student myself. You would need to contact our Prepay department for further assistance as we do not have access to their accounts. 888-294-6804. We do apologize for any inconvenience.

RobinD_VZW

Follow us on twitter @VZWSupport

0 Likes