Smartphone on Data Only Plan
Ericdata1

I currently have a VZW prepaid data only plan with a 7" tablet.  If I acquired a smartphone (assume it's a Verizon 4G-capable device) with the same SIM card slot size (micro-SIM in this case), would I be able to use the smartphone as a data-only device?

My goal is to be able to switch back and forth between the tablet and smartphone whenever I choose, while using the same prepaid data-only plan.

Labels (1)
0 Likes
Re: Smartphone on Data Only Plan
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

I'm to read that you are wanting to get a Verizon 4G smartphone for use Ericdata1. In the event that you decide to activate a smartphone, a calling plan will be required. To ensure that the pricing of the service is selected, here's a link to our calling plans.

http://www.verizonwireless.com/landingpages/verizon-plan/

ArnettH_VZW
Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport

If my response answered your question please click the �Correct Answer� button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!!

0 Likes
Ericdata1

That didn't really answer my question directly, though maybe I wasn't clear enough.

I understand all the smartphone plans available.  I just want to know if my current SIM card (with a prepaid data only plan) will work in a smartphone with NO new service plan or other account changes.  I don't want voice/text, just data on a smartphone with my existing SIM so that I can switch between devices on the same account.  Is that possible or not?

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Ericdata1,

You asked a wonderful question and getting your concern crossed off the to-do list is the goal.  We apologize, but we don't have access to prepaid accounts to confirm if that is an option.  Please contact our prepaid team at 1-888-294-6804 to receive further assistance. 

EmmaM_VZW
Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport
If my response answered your question please click the �Correct Answer� button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!!

0 Likes
Weth
Legend

I doubt you will get any official word that you can do this unsupported (but may be functional ) activity on this forum. Google is your friend here. How to get a data only cell phone plan: use a tablet data plan in your smartphone — digWHICH

0 Likes
edjay15
Enthusiast - Level 2

this maybe doable! However the problem that you may run into is that its going to require activation,  which means your going to have to get it reprogram every time you move it from device to device. So i wouldn't do it but it sounds like an great idea... Just to much to deal with. 

0 Likes