Switching Phones to prepaid service
KaileaG

I have a Droid X that is currently on a contract plan. My brother was on prepaid but wants contract, and I'd rather be on prepaid. So I was wondering if was possible to do an ESN swap so that I could use my droid X as a prepaid phone and let my brother take over my contract with is phone so that it doesn't need to be cancelled. I haven't asked anyone about it, when I tried calling Customer Service, the Rep had no idea what I was asking. I have looked around but haven't found an exact answer. All I've found is that in order to go prepaid I must finish my contract, which isn't up for awhile, which is why my brother opted to switch with me. Can it be done? If not, how do I go about placing my Droid X onto a prepaid plan?

Labels (1)
0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Switching Phones to prepaid service
Ann154
Community Leader
Community Leader
No idea about the ETF, but I would suspect that Verizon will want you to finish your contract first before you can switch to a pre-paid especially if you want to keep your phone number.

You might want to consider doing an AOL on your contract with your brother. Verizon would have to do a credit check on him and could require a deposit. Then depending on the device he is using, he could get that device activated on that line. You will probably have to switch actually phone numbers with him. Your current phone number is attached to the contract. If you tried switching or porting the number out that might cause the contract to be canceled.

I'm most definitely NOT a VZW employee. If a post answered your question, please mark it as the answer.

View solution in original post

0 Likes
Ann154
Community Leader
Community Leader
There is a pre-paid smartphone monthly plan available from Verizon. That is what you would be required to use with the Droid X. However you should look carefully at the pricing of the plan. It may end up being more expensive than the post-paid plan.

I'm most definitely NOT a VZW employee. If a post answered your question, please mark it as the answer.

0 Likes
KaileaG
I did see that plan, and I have read that prepaid tends to be more expensive than post paid, which would be a downside, but if I did want this plan that you suggested, would I end up with an ETF for switching to it? I'm just not interested in a contract anymore. I travel so often to places that lose service with Verizon that I don't want to be stuck like I am in a contract if I am somewhere for a long time that doesn't support Verizon. If that makes sense.
0 Likes
Ann154
Community Leader
Community Leader
No idea about the ETF, but I would suspect that Verizon will want you to finish your contract first before you can switch to a pre-paid especially if you want to keep your phone number.

You might want to consider doing an AOL on your contract with your brother. Verizon would have to do a credit check on him and could require a deposit. Then depending on the device he is using, he could get that device activated on that line. You will probably have to switch actually phone numbers with him. Your current phone number is attached to the contract. If you tried switching or porting the number out that might cause the contract to be canceled.

0 Likes
KaileaG
Thank you, your info helped a lot. Think I will look into more of what you explained!
0 Likes