Verizon slows down data on prepaid customers
aarango1217
Enthusiast - Level 2

Why doesn't Verizon tell their prepaid customers the truth? All customer support does is try to find other reasons to blame the slow speed. Verizon slows down speeds on data for prepaid users when other non-prepaid users are on the network. Verizon deprioritizes prepaid customers data in order to better service their non-prepaid users. And that is the real reason and the truth. i was using T-mobile prepaid with the same phone before porting to Verizon. No problem on  data speeds at all! i switched to Verizon because they have better area coverage and the prepaid prices seemed reasonable. What a shock on the terrible data service! its very frustrating. i am in New York City where there are plenty of towers and it take me up to 5 MINUTES to load a page if i am lucky.   Everyone who is thinking about going to Verizon Prepaid DON'T if you use data or anything that requires internet connection. You do not get what you pay for!

Labels (1)
Re: Verizon slows down data on prepaid customers
Ann154
Community Leader
Community Leader

It's right on the home page for the prepaid plans.

"Once high-speed allowance is used, 128 kbps speeds for the rest of the month. Functionality of some data applications, like streaming video or audio, may be impacted. DVD-quality streaming (up to the 480p). In times of congestion, your data may be temporarily slower than other traffic."

Screenshot_20180531-211935.png

I'm most definitely NOT a VZW employee. If a post answered your question, please mark it as the answer.

aarango1217
Enthusiast - Level 2

i have 7GB allowance that I will probably never use because of the speed. And it say “temporarily” but it really feels like permanently. Also The right thing to do when people contact customer support about their slow prepaid data, is to remind them that instead of “may be temporarily slower” is more like most of the time. Instead of going through 100 troubleshoots and wasting customers time and money.

Ak07
Enthusiast - Level 1

Once it is used!!! Once it is used!!!!! I got mine yesterday and have had speeds like .25 down and .01 up.  My post paid Verizon phone sitting right next to it then pulled a 36 down and 5 up.  It's garbage the phone is almost unusable.  I smell a law suit...Verizon says you get so many gigs of lte and then throttles the crud out of the speed before you have used anything.  They can keep the 50 bucks they got out of me.  Back to at&t I go.

Content modified as required by Verizon Wireless Terms of Service

vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

@Ak07 

I'm sorry to hear you feel that way about Prepaid services, as we wouldn't want to see anyone go. However, once you've used up the data on your plan, you will be receiving much slower speeds unless you increase your plan, or purchase a Data Boost. If you wanted Unlimited data, Prepaid has that too - it works similarly to Postpaid's Go Unlimited. For more on Data Boosts and how to add them or change your plan, please check out this link under the "Plan" section: https://vz.to/2MToDN1

RussellM_VZW
Follow us on TWITTER @VZWSupport
If my response answered your question please click the _Correct Answer_ button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!!

0 Likes
Ghosty
Enthusiast - Level 1

@vzw_customer_support wrote:

@Ak07 

I'm sorry to hear you feel that way about Prepaid services, as we wouldn't want to see anyone go. However, once you've used up the data on your plan, you will be receiving much slower speeds unless you increase your plan, or purchase a Data Boost. If you wanted Unlimited data, Prepaid has that too - it works similarly to Postpaid's Go Unlimited. For more on Data Boosts and how to add them or change your plan, please check out this link under the "Plan" section: https://vz.to/2MToDN1

RussellM_VZW
Follow us on TWITTER @VZWSupport
If my response answered your question please click the _Correct Answer_ button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!!

While Verizon does have an unlimited plan for prepaid (which I have), it is still the poorest service I have ever had.  I had an unlimited post-paid plan with Verizon before, and the service was great.  The MOMENT I switched to pre-paid unlimited, I was (and currently still am) throttled seemingly every other time I wanted to use my phone.  Download speeds of .49 Mbps, .60 mbps, 0.18, 0.73, with similar (and often worse) upload speeds.  And those are only the tested speeds that I had the patience to sit and watch finish.  I have an iphone Xs.  There is absolutely no reason that my phone should be going this slow.   

100% fact: Verizon prepaid is garbage.  My cubicle neighbor with Metro PCS has faster speeds.  We've raced.  Verizon should be ashamed.

Dave999999

blockhead. no one is asking about after they run out of data. again, blockhead.

0 Likes
vzbimr
Enthusiast - Level 1

Same problem on prepaid, even with 80% + data left for the month.  I get the slowdown after data is used, but not when I'm not even close.  I just ran a test and got 1.09 Mbps down and .03 Mbps up.

Basilius287

So what about my case? I have the $75/month unlimited data plan and my phone is sloth slow most of the day, as far as I'm concerned if your gonna charge this much for service you'd better make for dang sure it works for the simple fact that I feel like I'm being robbed every month because the second I make the payment the service dies off 

0 Likes
KH-OrnEsh
Moderator Emeritus

Due to the age of this thread, it will be locked in order to keep discussions current. If you have the same or a similar question/issue we invite you to start a new thread on the topic.

0 Likes