Visual Voicemail should be available for Android like it is for Apple/iOS devices
ReticentRobot
Enthusiast - Level 2

There's a topic with an incorrect 'Correct' answer posted here - so I want to get an actual correct answer on file (Correct Answer: Visual Voicemail on PrePaid plans should not be di... - Verizon Community) - this falsely states that the reason is because Apple's visual voicemail is built-in, but Visual Voicemail is also built into Android phones in the phone app too, particularly Google made devices like the Pixel phones.  It is specifically being blocked on Android phones and allowed on Apple phones?  Why treat your Android and iPhone customers on prepaid differently?  My only guess is because you can get it away with it with Android as a 'punishment' for not using a traditional phone plan, but Apple won't let you use their devices on prepaid unless you agree to allow it on their phones.

This is what you get on Android (Pixel) when attempting to activate Visual Voicemail in the Phone app (calling this number just gets you someone telling you that this is only available on iPhone and not Android for prepaid customers):

Screenshot 2021-08-10 121201.png

Re: Visual Voicemail should be available for Android like it is for Apple/iOS devices
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

We want to ensure you have the correct information regarding Visual Voicemail. On prepaid accounts, only Visual Voicemail for iPhone is available.  Please visit the link below for details on Visual Voicemail. 

https://www.verizon.com/support/visual-voice-mail-faqs/ *Lisa

0 Likes
Re: Visual Voicemail should be available for Android like it is for Apple/iOS devices
ReticentRobot
Enthusiast - Level 2

Yes, I have this information - the question is why is it that way?  Thanks!

Ann154
Community Leader
Community Leader

Prepaid plans have fewer included free features in order for the cost of the plan to be lower. 

I'm most definitely NOT a VZW employee. If a post answered your question, please mark it as the answer.

0 Likes
Ann154
Community Leader
Community Leader

The visual voicemail feature within the Phone application on the Pixel phones isn't universal across the Android OS or phones. Until it is, I doubt Verizon would allow it to be enabled on prepaid phones. 

I'm most definitely NOT a VZW employee. If a post answered your question, please mark it as the answer.

0 Likes
ReticentRobot
Enthusiast - Level 2

But the feature is enabled on the same exact plan if you are using an Apple device, so cost of the plan is irrelevant.  

0 Likes
ReticentRobot
Enthusiast - Level 2

The Visual Voicemail feature built in to the dialer has been standard for carriers to hook into since Android v.6 (Visual Voicemail  |  Android Open Source Project) - this is an Android OS level standard feature just like it is on iOS.  It should also be noted that if you are on a Post-Paid plan this feature works perfectly fine.  Verizon is simply disabling it on Android Pre-Paid because they can get away with it and Apple doesn't let them disable it on iPhones.  Android users are getting worse service for the same price and Verizon has yet to give an answer to why that is (because the answer is something that they don't want to say out loud). 

ClusterFox
Enthusiast - Level 1

I agree, there's no logical reason for Verizon not to offer Visual VM to pre-paid customers. They charge a $3 monthly fee for the feature, and the prices for pre and post paid plans are basically the same, so it's not a cost issue for them. The main difference is that the post paid plans require a hard credit inquiry.

My guess is it's simply a way to steer people to post-paid accounts in an effort to reduce churn, and since most people know that having too many credit inquiries negatively affects their credit score, customers are more likely to stay with a particular carrier for longer.

I suppose I can't blame them for looking out for their business, but I do hate that I'm penalized just because I didn't want an inquiry on my credit report. I pay my VZ bill every month just like all the post-paid customers do, and if I were to skip a month...they'd disconnect me same as they would any post-paid customer. 

0 Likes