Why do Verizon stores charge extra fees?
Frank_UX
Enthusiast - Level 2

I went to store to buy prepaid and was told that there's $35 activation fee. Not having time to argue (already waited in line for 30 min), I've paid and went on with my day. Once I got home and had a little bit of time, I went online to see that there is no such thing as activation fee on prepaid. When challenged store employee about it, he said that it's a nonrefundable fee and I should have bought online to avoid it.

Labels (1)
0 Likes
Re: Why do Verizon stores charge extra fees?
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Frank_UX,

Added fees can an unpleasant surprise. We certainly want to look into this to be sure you were charged accurately. To best assist you please contact our colleagues in the Prepay Department, as this is their area of expertise. They can be reached at 888-294-6804.

KatiM_VZW
Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport
If my response answered your question please click the �Correct Answer� button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!!

0 Likes
Snn5
Legend

There is no activation fee for Prepaid.  A non-corporate store, and authorized/premium retailer might charge, but a corporate store does not.

0 Likes
Frank_UX
Enthusiast - Level 2

Frank,

I've called the number you gave me and they said that they only see $45 charge. If additional charge was made, it doesn't show on my record and must have been fee charged and kept by the store. Here's copy of my receipt:

IMG_3148.JPG

0 Likes
Frank_UX
Enthusiast - Level 2

You need to click on the image to see it sharper. So what's the PREPAY $35ACT FEE and why did I get charged that from a Verizon store?

0 Likes
kaebfly
Champion - Level 3

Thought maybe you went to an authorized dealer store but when I looked it up it appears this is a Corporate Store. Perhaps go back to the store and call customer service while you are there...if CS is saying that you weren't supposed to be charged then you might be able to get the manager to explain while CS is on the line.

Snn5
Legend

Sorry, I might have misspoken.  Activating online and over the phone does not charge an activation fee.  In-store activations may charge a fee due to the service personnel working on commission.  There are several differences from the 3 ways to shop. 

Frank_UX
Enthusiast - Level 2

Yup, that was a pretty expensive lesson. I know people complain that commerce is moving to internet, but the sales people encourage that themselves by not having customer's best interest in mind. If I have to do research and read all fine print, I'll do it in the comfort of my house on the internet. When I go to the store, I expect knowledgeable people to help me figure out the best option, not look for ways how to charge me more.

Thanks kaebfly and Snn5 for your replies Smiley Happy This again shows that internet is the future and stores will slowly work themselves out of existence.

Snn5
Legend

Stores will always be here, at least for years to come.  People need a brick and mortar store to get hands on and face to face time with products and questions.

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

We are here to help and appreciate you reaching to on us. Being that this is a Prepay service we are referringt to. Please give that department a call directly so they can answer all your questions: 888-294-6804.
AnthonyM_VZW
Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport
If my response answered your question please click the �Correct Answer� button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!!

0 Likes