Why does my data slow down when I switch SIM cards?
bildad1
Enthusiast - Level 3

I recently switched to Verizon prepaid. I have two devices that I use. I find that if I switch devices, by moving the SIM card over that my data becomes extremely slow, and has to be corrected by Verizon.

I am wondering if there is a reason for this. Am I supposed to switch the device with my Verizon online first before switching the SIM card? Or is this just a fluke?

I don't want this to happen every time I switch devices.   Any ideas are welcome on why this is happening.

(LG G3 and Galaxy Note 3.)

Labels (1)
0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Why does my data slow down when I switch SIM cards?
bildad1
Enthusiast - Level 3

I have now confirmed again with the other phone.  Signal speed drops significantly in this area.  This is also with outside testing, so nothing has changed within my office setting to affect my signal in any way.  I will be happy to share the tower locations and test locations with any VZW personnel that can message me.

View solution in original post

0 Likes
Re: Slow data speeds after change to unlimited plan
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

We want to see you have the very best experience no matter what phone you are using. There is not a specific setting that would prevent one phone from running faster compared to the other. Our Prepaid Team at 888-294-6804 can further analyze any patterns that may be present in the switches that you have made.

YaleK_VZW

Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport

If my response answered your question please click the �Correct Answer� button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!!

0 Likes
Re: Slow data speeds after change to unlimited plan
bildad1
Enthusiast - Level 3

Thank you for your reply.  So i will try switching the phone online in My Verizon first before switching to see if that makes a difference.  If it happens again i will contact prepaid support.

0 Likes
bildad1
Enthusiast - Level 3

oddly enough, it seems that it may be my location.    both times when switching i have had issues while at work.    today i left work and as soon as i was several blocks away, i tested it and it was normal speed.

0 Likes
bildad1
Enthusiast - Level 3

I have now confirmed this.  I traveled back to my work location, and sitting in the parking lot in 2 different locations, i have very low data speed.  Across the street approximately 500 ft, same situation.  Move a little farther south, about 1000 feet, still slow.   At approx. 1 mile, the data once again rises to normal, about 37 mbps.  This has been confirmed three times over the last couple of days.

I am really confused about the cause of this.  Wondering if it is specific to my phone (LG G3), to the sim card, or a tower issue?  Verizon has stated a couple of times they see no problems with the towers in the area.

Screenshot_2017-07-20-21-45-51.png

0 Likes
bildad1
Enthusiast - Level 3

To absolutely confirm, i switched phones from my home location, and instantly had good speeds.    I'll check the current phone at work in the am and see how the signal is with it.

0 Likes
bildad1
Enthusiast - Level 3

I have now confirmed again with the other phone.  Signal speed drops significantly in this area.  This is also with outside testing, so nothing has changed within my office setting to affect my signal in any way.  I will be happy to share the tower locations and test locations with any VZW personnel that can message me.

0 Likes