Why does my phone give me the Roaming message when I try to make calls when I'm not roaming??
Lilykath
Enthusiast - Level 1

All of a sudden recently when ever I try to make phone calls I get the message saying that I am being transferred to an external operator to use a calling card, credit card, or collect call to complete my call and that the reason is that my phone is roaming.  I have had this account with Verizon for a year now, I am in the same area as always, and I've never had this problem. I've talked to live chat reps and tried to call Verizon and no one can give me an answer. They've had me call *288 and *28890 and nothing has worked. Whats going on???

Labels (1)
Re: Why does my phone give me the Roaming message when I try to make calls when I'm not roaming??
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Lilykath, nothing has changed over the last year on our end. You will need to dial *228 and choose option to 2 to update the roaming capabilities on your device. If you're unable to do this, please power your device off/on to soft reset it. By the way, which make/model phone do you have?

LasinaH_VZW
Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport

0 Likes
Re: Why does my phone give me the Roaming message when I try to make calls when I'm not roaming??
Lilykath
Enthusiast - Level 1

I have tried *228 and *22890 both say the update was successful but when I try to call anyone I still get the same message. I have also tried the soft reset and still no change.

the_blur
Enthusiast - Level 3

This is a complete lie.

Verizon made an update on 10/4 and has been having issues with their prepaid activation which is still happening.  They do not have any update and there is no resolution to this.  If you look at other postings on here they have not responded to any other prepaid customer issues.

You will not be able to use your phone till Verizon resolves this issue.

the_blur
Enthusiast - Level 3

I purchased a brand new prepaid Verizon phone and it has said nothing besides 'roaming' even when inside a Verizon store and speaking with the store manager about it.  The manager called their technical support and said there was nothing they could do about it till they resolved the issue with the upgrade that started on 10/4 and is still continuing.

mkb741
Enthusiast - Level 1

*228 is "not allowed" and will not go through. Try *611 instead.

maxdowis
Enthusiast - Level 1

This is currently the first reply, in July of 2020, when googling this issue. If all you can say after 5 years is that "nothing has changed on our end", you should probably hire new customer service representatives.

vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

We would be more than happy to troubleshoot with you directly. To allow us to do so, please leave us a Private Note, or reach out to us online @VZWSupport on Twitter or Facebook. You can also reach us at 1-800-922-0204.

RobertH_VZW

0 Likes
KH-Michael
Moderator Emeritus

Due to the age of this thread, it will be locked in order to keep discussions current. If you have the same or a similar question/issue we invite you to start a new thread on the topic.

0 Likes