change/disable two factor authentication
bwest1

I have a prepaid account established for a minor child, I am the owner of that account and need to have access frequently.  however, the online system (verizonwireless.com) now requires a code texted to the device on the account to gain access every time i access the account.  Not only do I not have the phone in my possession (which i don't), as the owner of the account I should be able to get access without that device -- either via a code sent by email, an alternative device, or by disabling two factor authentication completely.

I spent an hour on the phone with "support" staff, only to be told time and time again that the prepaid accounts only support texts to the device itself and there are no alternatives that are available in post-paid accounts.  I was told the number "qualifies to be ported to a post paid account" to solve the problem.  So rather than address an account access issue, they want to upsell services which do not provide the same adult / parent controls available as a prepaid account (such as suspending service immediately, reinstating, etc).

How can I either change the method of receiving the code or disable two factor authentication compeltely for this account?

0 Likes
Re: change/disable two factor authentication
Mesa50
Enthusiast - Level 1

I recently switched to Verizon prepaid from another prepaid plan carrier.  I could not receive two factor authorization from Google or Facebook. After chatting with the online Verizon rep I was told the two factor authorization would not work on a prepaid plan and I would have to upgrade to a regular plan. No thanks!

Had I know this I would not have switched to Verizon and will be switching back to previous prepaid plan provider after this month is up. 

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

It would be disheartening to see you leave our Verizon Wireless family, Mesa50. We'd be glad to look into this further for you. So we may do so, please keep an eye out for a Private Note from us.

OmarC_VZW 

0 Likes
Mesa50
Enthusiast - Level 1

Update!

My issues were from my number not being ported over correctly. After that was done I have no further issues. However I went a week thinking my number was ported to Verizon. Verizon needs to do a better job at notifying a customer when there are port issues.

dotiturgeon
Enthusiast - Level 1

I take care of mom's 'business' accounts (an aging issue which isn't much different than with a minor). I have never had the trouble I had today with needing a code to access her account.

In the past, a phone number and pw were usable, pin and security questions but now....they text you a code you have to enter? The phone is in Ohio and I am in California. How does that work?

To make matters worse, I couldn't text or chat or have verizon call me without the code either! Calling for help? Nope. I needed the code sent to the phone and when it was entered they would talk to me.

I, too spent over 2 hours on this. Mom has had Verizon since 2013 and I have ALWAYS hated dealing with them but this beats it all. No solution.

OTOH, we did discover I can connect with my phone and not my mac/safari. (I hope it isn't a one time deal). No way can I have a text sent to mom every time I need to look at her account. She is hard of hearing, barely can see, and shakes too bad to type. The very basic prepay phone is for talking and only talking. Not high tech stuff! This stinks.

dotiturgeon
Enthusiast - Level 1

Posted by daughter:

I take care of mom's 'business' accounts (an aging issue which isn't much different than with a minor). I have never had the trouble I had today with needing a code to access her account.

In the past, a phone number and pw were usable, pin and security questions but now....they text you a code you have to enter? The phone is in Ohio and I am in California. How does that work?

To make matters worse, I couldn't text or chat or have verizon call me without the code either! Calling for help? Nope. I needed the code sent to the phone and when it was entered they would talk to me.

I, too spent over 2 hours on this. Mom has had Verizon since 2013 and I have ALWAYS hated dealing with them but this beats it all. No solution.

OTOH, we did discover I can connect with my phone and not my mac/safari. (I hope it isn't a one time deal). No way can I have a text sent to mom every time I need to look at her account. She is hard of hearing, barely can see, and shakes too bad to type. The very basic prepay phone is for talking and only talking. Not high tech stuff! This stinks.

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

We would be happy to review yoru experience with you in depth. To allow us to do so, please leave us a Private Note here, or reach out to us online @VZWSupport on Twitter or Facebook, or through the Chat System in our Contact Us page. You can also reach us over the phone at 1-800-922-0204. We look forward to working with you on this matter directly.

VZW_RobertH

0 Likes
Laurajarvisup

I also just switched to a verizon prepaid account and can’t get two factor authentication on my account!!!

Do I have to leave Verizon to another carrier just to get 2FA???

0 Likes
KH-OrnEsh
Moderator Emeritus

Due to the age of this thread, it will be locked in order to keep discussions current. If you have the same or a similar question/issue we invite you to start a new thread on the topic.

0 Likes