Skip to main content
Accessibility Resource Center Skip to main content
Get up to $500 when you bring your phone. Plus, waived smartphone activation fee when you buy online. Limited time offer.
end of navigation menu
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
old prepaid plan changed to $5/mo - phone not working
513bucks

From verizon:

"Beginning in August 2021, we will automatically move your account to a new plan. Your phone number will stay the same and your current phone will continue to work on the new plan

The new plan will cost $5 per month, plus taxes and fees.
It will include 20 minutes of talk; each additional talk minute and text will be charged at a per-use rate.

If you currently have a balance of available funds, they will be transferred to your new plan.
Any monthly payments and per-use charges will automatically be deducted from your available funds."

About me:

16 yr old prepaid plan ($15/mo with rollover now over $700 in account) and phone lg vx3200 flip phone.

Phone now has no service or 1 bar max if i get lucky (hit or miss if I can make or receive calls) - I understand the reason needed to upgrade the phone to 4g, however I get conflicting info from Verizon about doing this.

Problem::

So I need a new phone:

Try online from the verizon website - will not let me buy a phone unless I pick a new plan - no option for existing customer.

Prepaid customer service #1 - no way to buy a phone from website - (workaround) POSSIBLE to buy the phone from the verizon website, waste $35 on cheapest prepaid plan, and then verizon MIGHT be able to put the new phone on my existing plan -told I can request the current funds back from my account - I want to think about options and will call back later

Go to verizon company stores - no prepaid phones - told to go to best buy or dollar general to buy a phone - ask them to verify with verizon that I can be refunded money from my account - 10 minutes later they come back and confirm that money can be refunded

Prepaid customer service #2 - I ask to have the new phone paid for with the some of the existing funds in the account - told they can't do that but that verizon can send $150/mo checks to reimburse me the cost of the phone (3rd time told this from verizon) - get sent to verizon phone sales (tel-sales) - allowed to purchase the phone at cost plus tax ($260 total) with no need to switch plans - get sent back to prepaid customer service to request my refund checks and request $300 back, keep the rest ($400) on the plan - promptly told no verizon does not do this.

Recap:

Due to the switch in plans I have an account balance of $700 which no longer rolls over - at $5/mo it will take 11.5 yrs to get my account to $0 - told I can request money back - end up having trouble even buying a phone from verizon, which I proceed to purchase BECAUSE I will be reimbursed money from my account - 20 minutes after phone purchase, told I cannot get money refunded - cost me $260 with no money refunded from my account

I would like $300 of my unused prepaid money refunded to me and some kind of explanation as to why I was given false and conflicting information.

0 Likes