"Domestic Roam" charges
THRIVEing
Enthusiast - Level 1

I JUST signed up for a prepaid account and even though I had talked with several representatives, both at my local stores (V retailer & V corporate store) and several online chats and talked to several folks on the phone BEFORE DECIDING to go with the prepaid plan NOBODY mentioned there was a $0.20/minute domestic roam fee.

What is this?  I am in MT and travel across WY quite frequently. These areas have very spotty service & rely on roam for coverage.  I do not like the sounds of this one bit. Because I live in a sparsely populated area I have to pay more for my service??? What the heck! And nobody, not even the folks I talked to at the local stores who knew I was planning to travel thought to mention this.

I want to know EXACTLY were I can expect to find Verizon service and EXACTLY where I can expect to be roaming. I want a map with more detail than the crappy low-res full US maps on line. I want maps specifically for MT, WY, ND, SD, & NE--the areas I travel most. Does anyone know where I can find TRUTHFUL coverage info?

AND, I want a way to know when I am roaming--can I set some sort of alert on my phone? Or, better yet, can I set it to drop the call if I roam. I have a LG Cosmos (not the 2, the original)

I have been asking the right questions over and over for more than a month to be sure this is the route I wanted to go and not once was it mentioned until I was read the terms AFTER the activation and then in disbelief read it again on the website. Seriously?!

I am leaving to travel in the morning (5/24). I will be using my phone (the reason I activated in the 1st place) for business calls while I drive. I would like to avoid extra charges so I would like to to get details asap. Can anyone help?

Labels (1)
0 Likes
Re: "Domestic Roam" charges
Jeremy1129
Contributor - Level 2

This Coverage Locator depiction applies to the Verizon Wireless Prepaid Calling Plans
These Coverage Locator maps depict predicted and approximate wireless coverage. The coverage areas shown do not guarantee service availability, and may include locations with limited or no coverage. Even within a coverage area, there are many factors, including customer’s equipment, terrain, proximity to buildings, foliage, and weather that may impact service. Some of the Coverage Areas include networks run by other carriers, the coverage depicted is based on their information and public sources, and we cannot ensure its accuracy.

0 Likes
Jeremy1129
Contributor - Level 2

In other words, The most accurate way to determine roaming would be the indication on your device, not the coverage maps

0 Likes
THRIVEing
Enthusiast - Level 1

and how do I make my device indicate that. I have the LG Cosmos 2

I would prefer it to DROP calls rather than roam. but either way, need to know how it will indicate roaming.

0 Likes
THRIVEing
Enthusiast - Level 1

yes, i have seen the maps on the site that indicate coverage along the interstates but have found this to not be accurate at all. I was less than 20miles out of one of the larger towns along the interstate and could not get talk, only text would go out with long delays. of course, the next 100 miles was a complete dead zone even though the map showed great coverage. Is there anything more accurate? Maybe a consumer produced coverage experience map rather than the theoretical map the marketing department creates. I would like to be able to plan ahead.

0 Likes
Jeremy1129
Contributor - Level 2

It's not a preference. Your Device is designed to let you know when you are Roaming, for the LG Cosmos 2, it would be a Triangle next to the service bars instead of a diamond/kite symbol. Unfortunately there is no physical switch neither you nor verizon can do to make your services work one way or another.

Here are a few common things that happen when you roam on prepay:

1. Your device will not allow you to make calls, but recieve calls but you will get a charge of .20/min

2. Your device will not allow you to make or recieve calls

3. Your device will indicate roaming but will not charge you for making or recieving call

These are a few things that can occur during roaming, and also keep in mind roaming does not always provide the same effect, for example:

If you were going to One spot that is roaming, and during that spot you can not make calls, but can recieve calls with the .20/min charges, Then you leave that spot, go back, your services may or may not work anymore.

So keep in mind if you have a different outcome with roaming, it cannot be changed to another type of roaming.

And for what it is worth, atleast for text messaging should work while roaming without additional charges based on your plans rate.

Hope this information helped. Keep us updated.

-Jeremy

THRIVEing
Enthusiast - Level 1

Thank you.

Not what I had hoped for or expected but at least now I know.

Thank you for taking your time to keep the rest of us updated.

0 Likes