Facinate on the new prepaid data plan?
rikai

I was just wondering if the new Facinate would be added to the list of smartphones eligible for the upcoming data-only prepaid plan announced here: http://news.vzw.com/news/2010/09/pr2010-09-02a.html

I realize it's not on the list, but it also came out after the announcement, so i was just hoping for some clarification.

Labels (1)
0 Likes
Re: Facinate on the new prepaid data plan?
Ms_Shonta
Contributor - Level 2

There is no information at this time about the Samsung Fascinate being on the new prepaid data plan at this time..

0 Likes
SuzyQ
Community Leader
Community Leader

Since the Fascinate is an Android phone, and requires the $29.99 data plan, I doubt it will be offered as a pre-paid device.

I didn't know there was a pre-paid data plan?

0 Likes
TheGreatOne
Master - Level 1

SuzyQ wrote:

Since the Fascinate is an Android phone, and requires the $29.99 data plan, I doubt it will be offered as a pre-paid device.

I didn't know there was a pre-paid data plan?

It's helpful if you do a search on here....check out this thread--->Droid prepaid?

0 Likes
SuzyQ
Community Leader
Community Leader

OK--this is quite new - -

On September 2, 2010, Verizon Wireless will introduce Prepaid on BlackBerry Smartphones, other 3G Smartphones, and
3G Multimedia, which were previously unavailable. Customers activating on a 3G Data device will choose from one of the
Prepaid Monthly Talk and Talk & Text Plans and a Prepaid Data Package.

The monthly plans on pre-paid are $5 more than the contract plans for the same 450 minutes, with or without the unlimited texting.  The data plan is the same, and you have to renew every month....so it's more expensive than a contract?  I thought the idea of pre-paid was to SAVE money - if you didn't use the phone all that much.  In order to get the data and use prepaid with a smartphone, you have to have a voice plan too, and the daily plans don't qualify.

If I am reading this correctly (http://www.androiddoes.net/bdube/prepaidstamp.pdf) then you really are not saving money by using a smartphone on pre-paid - the advantage is that you don't have a contract and can stop paying if the bill is too much.   I don't see where they are showing the cost of the phone either - if you have to pay full price then you'd be better off with a regular account, as the payment per month is less.

0 Likes
spottedcatfish
Champion - Level 3

The prepaid plans don't require a deposit if you have a bad credit rating.  Since Verizon can charge upwards of $400 deposit on a single line with bad or no credit, that extra $5 a month may be well worth it to some people who otherwise couldn't get cell service on a smartphone with unlimited data.

I think Verizon is trying to capture a growing market of people with budgets that allow smartphones, but credit scores that don't, if you've recently gotten your job back after being laid off for a while, this would be the plan for you.

0 Likes
SuzyQ
Community Leader
Community Leader

spottedcatfish wrote:

The prepaid plans don't require a deposit if you have a bad credit rating.  Since Verizon can charge upwards of $400 deposit on a single line with bad or no credit, that extra $5 a month may be well worth it to some people who otherwise couldn't get cell service on a smartphone with unlimited data.

I think Verizon is trying to capture a growing market of people with budgets that allow smartphones, but credit scores that don't, if you've recently gotten your job back after being laid off for a while, this would be the plan for you.

OK--that makes sense.  So the advantages are no contract--no deposit--but the data costs the same and the minutes are more expensive.  I can see where that would work for some people....

0 Likes
jobyrox
Enthusiast - Level 3
the fascinate can, here is a list from customer service of the phones currently available, all need the monthly plans 44.99 minimum, and 30.00 data package except the multimedia ones which can use a 10.00/25 MB data package instead if nec. Here's the list of phones from customer svc, 3G Smartphones: Android OS Motorola Droid (A855) Motorola Droid X (MB810) Motorola Droid 2 Motorola Devour HTC Incredible (ADR6300) LG Ally (VS740) Samsung Fascinate - (9/9) Droid Eris (ADR6200) KIN 1 KIN 2 Palm OS Palm Pre Plus Palm Pixi Plus Treo 700P Treo 755P Blackberry: Curve 1 (8330) Curve 2 (8530) Storm 1 (9530) Storm 2 (9550) Tour (9630) Bold (9650) Multimedia: LG enV 3 (VX9200) LG enV Touch (VX11000) LG Chocolate Touch (VX8575) LG VX 8360 LG Clout (VX8370) Samsung Alias 2 (SCH-u750) Samsung Renown (SCH-u810) Nokia Twist (7705) Casio Exilim (C721) Moto - W766 Samsung - U940 Samsung - U960
0 Likes
jobyrox
Enthusiast - Level 3
^^sorry i just copied and pasted a list of them
0 Likes
SuzyQ
Community Leader
Community Leader
Thanks jobyrox - that will answer a lot of questions for folks, I hope! And it really expands the pre-paid offerings. That will make some people very happy, I'm sure!
0 Likes