Re: Family base vpn issue on school wifi
Shawsal

I just upgraded my Family Base to Premium. It’s been a nightmare. I love al the features it has to offer but now my kids are having the same problem with WiFi. they have iphone 6s’s and a 7 With current iOS. based On these previous statements it looks like I need to cancel that service and go back to Ourpact. I just liked that I could also block phone calls and texts with this one

0 Likes
RANJITGORAY
Enthusiast - Level 2

It has been a nightmare and nobody from Verizon seem to understand the problem as I don’t believe anyone has tested this with the new companion app

0 Likes
CSF2
Enthusiast - Level 2

I find it interesting that everyone in this thread has Apple devices and my family has Android, but we are experiencing the same problem. The Android phones don't show "vpn" at the top, they show a key symbol instead, but it says vpn when you swipe down.  Sometimes downloads will work, but apps that I have not blocked do not work over WiFi or LTE and they should. Really frustrating.

vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Shawsal, these are nice features that we want them to work for you. I have sent a private Message please respond with the information requested.

AlbertoR_VZW
Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport
If my response answered your question please click the �Correct Answer� button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!!

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

I understand the need to have Smart Family control the devices when and where you want it to, and only then, RANJITGORAY. I appreciate all the steps you’ve taken and all the details you’ve provided. There are two questions regarding the situation. After making the changes and adding controls you wanted, did you power off your child’s phone for at least a minute? This step is necessary in order to affect the changes fully. Also, are you asking if it’s possible to use WIFI when the internet is paused through Smart Family (a step that will not require a restart)?

GeorgeS_VZW

Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport

If my response answered your question please click the “Correct Answer” button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!!

0 Likes
RANJITGORAY
Enthusiast - Level 2

GeorgeS_VZW, yes i had powered down and also removed the SIM and put it back as instructed by on eof the agents.

All,

Yesterday, i applied iOS 11.4 update on both my iPhone7 and my sons iPhone6 (removed Family Companion app before update). There are updates to both Smart Family and Family base companion so applied those as well and then re activated family companion with my home WiFi already connected.

On his phone now i am able to connect to the internet with WiFi On and connected to Family Companion VPN and WiFi seems to work.

I will be monitoring this for few days.

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

That's great RANJITGORAY. Please let us know how everything works out. We'll be standing by if you need anything else.

0 Likes
MICWU58

I have the same issue. My daughter is complaining because it's causing her so many issues. I may have no choice but to remove the service. It's very frustrating.

She's on an iPhone 7 with iOS 11.4.1

0 Likes
JOHPEP85

My daughter is complaining of the same thing when she connects to the school wifi.  At home I purchased the Disney Circle for internet security.   I added her phone to the circle protection and we had problems with the VPN not staying on and she could not get to the internet.  The VPN was consistently stopping and starting.  I removed her device from the Disney Circle protection and just had her access our wifi and the VPN stayed on and she could browse the internet.  It may have to do with some secure features at the school. I am thinking since I experienced the same issue with the Disney Circle.  She has a Iphone 6s with the latest IOS.  This is just a hunch  I have not done any further testing since we just set her up this past weekend and discovered the problem Monday.

0 Likes
JOHPEP85

Doing more research, I am not sure, but if the schools block VPN connections this would cause the smart family vpn not to work.

0 Likes