4G and WiFi on at the same time
Sallyvs19
Enthusiast - Level 2

Ever since I updated to Lollipop my phone shows the 4G lte on at the same time as my device is connected to a WiFi connection (and no, not greyed out). This is particularly annoying in my apartment where it doesn't connect to the internet with the  WiFi and there is internet access since I can use other devices.

I am never sure if it is using my data or WiFi.

I already did a Factory Reset and it didn't work.

Anybody else having the same issue? Any solutions?

1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: 4G and WiFi on at the same time
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep
Sallyvs19,

I can understand your concerns in wanting to verify what network that you're device is utilizing. Your device may show 4G LTE still available at times even when WiFI is enabled, but it will utilize Wifi over cellular data.  Certain applications such as My Verizon or Visual Voice mail require the 4G connection and may still utilize 4G services.  If you'd like to ensure no 4G is utilized at all, then you can you disable the mobile data in your settings. Let us know if you have any questions! 

TrevorC_VZW
Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport
If my response answered your question please click the �Correct Answer� button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!!

View solution in original post

0 Likes
Joe1022

Check to make sure Download Booster isn't on, if it is it might be using both networks if you're trying to download items.  Just a thought.

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep
Sallyvs19,

I can understand your concerns in wanting to verify what network that you're device is utilizing. Your device may show 4G LTE still available at times even when WiFI is enabled, but it will utilize Wifi over cellular data.  Certain applications such as My Verizon or Visual Voice mail require the 4G connection and may still utilize 4G services.  If you'd like to ensure no 4G is utilized at all, then you can you disable the mobile data in your settings. Let us know if you have any questions! 

TrevorC_VZW
Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport
If my response answered your question please click the �Correct Answer� button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!!
0 Likes
Re: Re: 4G and WiFi on at the same time
Sallyvs19
Enthusiast - Level 2

Thanks for the reply Joe1022, yes I made sure Download Booster was not on.

0 Likes
Snn5
Legend

Most of the Lollipop updated phones keep data on in the background for SMS/MMS, but they aren't supposed to use data for anything other than those and maybe a little spy action from the built-in spyware diagnostic bloatware that lets tech see what is on your phone.  An unavoidable privacy conflict which cannot be disabled, stopped, or uninstalled.  The phone sends back location and system info to check for modified OS setups and RAM, memory, # of apps and such things.  It can also modify contents of the phone, to include media and messages.This is one of the apps Verizon uses to "remotely diagnose" your smartphone

0 Likes
Sallyvs19
Enthusiast - Level 2

Thank you TrevorC_VZW for your response. . I know some Verizon apps need 4G to work and I did turn the mobile data off to ensure I am only using the WiFi. At the same time is a little annoying to have to do that each time and then having to remember to turn the data back on when not connected to a WiFi. My phone starting doing that only after the update so I was wondering if the same was happening to other people and/or if there was a solution for it.

It is also happening in my husband's Note 4.

0 Likes
Sallyvs19
Enthusiast - Level 2

When you see the arrow activity though, doesn't that mean the data is being used?

Before the update, the 4G let icon was greyed out and if I received an mms or used an app that required data it would light up, until I was done.

But now, the icon is on at all times with arrow activity.

0 Likes
Snn5
Legend

When the arrows move, data is moving.  My last phone and current both would have data off, no arrows moving, but MMS would go through fine.  I also had minimal, but still data was used for system updates and other system checks as displayed by a 3rd party data monitor and the phones data monitor.  My data was off for 3 weeks and I had a 50-55 MB useage attributed to system update and another app that almost every major carrier has on every Android which is used by each to update phones and perform other tasks.  Without this app, the phones will not update.  It is from a private company which sells this software to the carriers under the idea that a uniformed update system makes it easier to assist customer remotely and auto add-remove apps from users systems if the carrier sees fit.  The carrier has the manufacturer program the app into its own version of Android.

0 Likes
smith6612
Community Leader
Community Leader

Some other things to note that might be keeping the Mobile Data interface active are:

Visual Voicemail

Advanced Calling 1.0 (whether it is enabled or not)

Verizon's APN management component.

Caller Name ID

I'd say the issue has been spotted well. When I have some more time I'll see if I can track down what is causing the LTE Interface to be kept "On." So far I haven't noticed any impact to my phone. Data is another story, as I don't monitor that and haven't checked.

0 Likes
jabloooo

I'm having the same problem.

When I manually disable 4G, it still keeps turning on by itself.

It's annoying having to turn the data off multiple times during the day when I don't want it on and did nothing to turn it on.

0 Likes