5.01 update bugs
Iceburgh

After the initial install, my phone froze on the start up Verizon screen after I shut it down and restarted it. Battery pull and started up OK.

My current issues after the update:

Do Not Disturb seems to turn itself off after a random amount of time, I'll turn it back on and after a while its back off.

The proximity heart rate sensor seems to turn on when my finger rests on it or on the table. I'm not in any app like S Health to trigger the sensor. I am thinking this is related to smart lock. I had smart lock active, and was working as advertised. I thought maybe it was because of the keep it unlocked feature when on you. So I turned the third option off, and no change. Now I just did a system cache wipe and started up my phone, had a goggle play services has shut down error, so I uninstalled it and reinstalled it. Now, smart lock is not active, I just had to input my pin and I'm at home, and I'm not having the proximity sensor issue.

Before I did this, I stopped into a Verizon corporate store to show these problems, so it's documented. Told them I was going to do a cache purge, and if all else fails do the factory reset as a LAST option. The average user is going to not have the patience to do all of this, and I am seeing these issues mentioned on other websites.

So my initial thoughts are:

Do Not Disturb is still on. Let's hope it stays that way. Perhaps system cache fixed that.

Smart Lock is buggy and triggers the sensor, Which is a shame for I really liked the feature. For now I'll turn it off.

Any thoughts?

0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: 5.01 update bugs
wpwoodjr
Enthusiast - Level 2

I figured this out.  Under Lollipop the heart rate sensor is turned on by Google Fit even when you are not in Google Fit. This explains why Google Fit is now listed as incompatible with the Note 4.  Uninstalling Google Fit fixed the heart rate sensor issue and also the excessive CPU time eating the battery issue.

View solution in original post

0 Likes
wpwoodjr
Enthusiast - Level 2

My heart rate monitor is going on too when I put my finger over it.  Turning off Smart Lock didn't help.

Smart lock isn't so smart either.  It stopped working for me at home.  When it does work (in my car with Bluetooth), you still have to swipe to unlock. It's really not useful, I expected it would not require an unlock gesture and when turning on it would just take you to whatever screen you were on before locking the device.

0 Likes
wpwoodjr
Enthusiast - Level 2

Wiping system cache seems to temporarily fix the heart rate monitor issue but only for a few minutes, even with Smart Lock off.

0 Likes
wpwoodjr
Enthusiast - Level 2

The other issue I'm having is that Android's System process is eating my battery.  It is constantly running at 15% or so.  I noticed that when the heart rate monitor is not active this CPU usage goes down significantly.  Unfortunately I can't figure out how to turn off the heart rate monitor permanently.  It shuts off for a few minutes after using S Health to test heart rate, but then it comes back.

0 Likes
wpwoodjr
Enthusiast - Level 2

I figured this out.  Under Lollipop the heart rate sensor is turned on by Google Fit even when you are not in Google Fit. This explains why Google Fit is now listed as incompatible with the Note 4.  Uninstalling Google Fit fixed the heart rate sensor issue and also the excessive CPU time eating the battery issue.

0 Likes