Re: Am I out $300 ?
FAIGUY9
Enthusiast - Level 3

So you own your Note 7 out-right? Could you return it for a full refund, get your money back (instead of an "exchange") and then start all over with a different phone? I don't even know if that would work, just an idea....

0 Likes
rcschnoor
Legend

MRJones33 wrote:

Huggyjd28 - I am in the exact same boat. My S7 Edge was purchased in June and in August I traded it in and paid $390 to walk out of the store with a Note7. Now they want the Note7 back, but won't refund the $390 that I paid to get it. 

THIS is the entire problem. You DIDN'T pay $390 to get that Note7. You paid $390 to get out of CONTINUING to pay for your S7 Edge. You basically AGREED to pay 50% of full retail value to BORROW a phone for 3 months(June, July & August) just so you could upgrade early. This is NEVER a good value for the consumer. You would have been better off paying off the device IN FULL and selling it yourself. You pay a PREMIUM to do business this way with the "annual upgrade" program and even MORE SO if you upgrade in 3 months or less. You now want that value to be better because of the recall? The value of your S7 Edge is STILL the same, you paid 50% to BORROW that phone for 3 months. The value of your Note 7 is STILL the same, which you will get back IN FULL when you return it. That means you get back the payments you have already made or the full retail value if that is what you paid up front. That is all. You don't get back a BONUS. What about people who upgraded early after ALREADY paying off 50% of their device and didn't have a payoff amount to reach 50%? They should not get $390 back and neither should you. NEXT TIME don't give up your device if you are not prepared to live with not being able to have that device.

If you had paid the $390 to get the Note 7, I could understand Verizon needing to refund that amount. YOU DIDN'T. You paid $390 to get rid of the Galaxy S7. You are STILL rid of it and Verizon is not, nor should they, give you back that money.

0 Likes
rcschnoor
Legend

Huggyjd28 wrote:

Customers should not be held to their contract agreement with this phone. There should be an exception made.

You are not being held to the contract agreement with the Note 7. Verizon is giving your money back and making you upgrade eligible.

The money you had to pay to return your previous phone was a contract agreement with THAT phone, not the Note 7. THAT is why you had to pay an amount to reach 50% if you had already not done so. THAT is a completely different contract and has NOTHING to do with the Note 7.

0 Likes
rcschnoor
Legend

FAIGUY9 wrote:

So you own your Note 7 out-right? Could you return it for a full refund, get your money back (instead of an "exchange") and then start all over with a different phone?

Yes, if someone paid FULL RETAIL for their Note 7, they will receive a FULL refund of the amount they paid.

The only people complaining about not getting the "supposed" amount they paid for the Note 7 are those who upgraded early BEFORE reaching the 50% payoff amount on their PREVIOUS device. They didn't pay off that amount for the Note 7, they paid off that amount to get rid of their PREVIOUS device as detailed in the contract agreement for the purchase of THAT device. THAT payment has nothing to do with the Note 7 purchase.

0 Likes
robbscut
Enthusiast - Level 3

Verizon must love that you are working as a customer service rep for free Smiley Happy

0 Likes
DXLDRIVER
Enthusiast - Level 1

If anything the Note 7 situation has exposed Verizon for what it is...  a company that believes that just because they built the best network in the country, they can lie, cheat, scam, and over charge their customers.  Tell me can anyone out there really decipher their monthly bill?  I am with Verizon because of their network, but feel like I got scammed every time I have dealt with them.  The stories I could tell from over the years!!!

0 Likes
rcschnoor
Legend

robbscut wrote:

Verizon must love that you are working as a customer service rep for free

I think they are "love" it less than you think. With some of the responses CS reps give, I think Verizon prefers confusion over stating the facts which is what I try to do.

No, CS reps try to sugar coat things to get people thinking they have a chance to get something they don't actually qualify to get.

I simply try to explain things as I see them. I ALSO advise people to NEVER early upgrade as it is NOT a good deal as evidenced by this fiasco. I don't think you would EVER see a CS rep try to steer someone away from an early upgrade/insurance/etc... as I constantly have done in the past. They are just not good deals for the customer.

Doesn't mean people listen, though, they prefer to listen to what SOUNDS better than it actually is and normally end up with the short end of the stick. THIS exact thing comes to mind. People who file an insurance claim come to mind when they are flabbergasted at the insurance deductible. People who return a device for early upgrade with a "tiny" crack on the screen only to find out they still owe the FULL amount n the phone they returned. You can only help people who are willing to be helped, though. Smiley Happy

0 Likes
rcschnoor
Legend

DXLDRIVER wrote:

Tell me can anyone out there really decipher their monthly bill?

I don't think my bill is hard to decipher. Of course, I don't have any phone payments. I have a More Everything Plan with 4 smartphone lines(15 line access fees for being month to month), 1 smartwatch line($5 line access fee), 15 GB shared data allowance($78 after my employer discount) and about $24 in taxes/fees for a TOTAL monthly bill of $167.

Of course when you add phone payments that many customers don't understand, early upgrade fees that many customers don't understand, insurance fees that many customers don't understand, overage fees that many customers don't understand, etc... I can see your point. That along with the fact MANY customers don't actually look at their itemized bill but just the billing summary.Smiley Happy

0 Likes
Huggyjd28
Enthusiast - Level 3

I still think i got hosed. I planned on just paying my galaxy s7 edge off and just keeping it. I wanted the bigger screen because im older and my eyes aint as good as they use to be. So i order the note 7, edge out of my s7edge for $300 and i end up with a lemon that verizon wants back so samsung can send it to the scrap yard. Yea. I lost my azz on this deal. But i can assure you it wont happen again. And because Verizon never wants to give a strait answer, ill move on to another carrier. So i wont ask for another phone. Ill just ask for a return box for this piece of shiz recalled phone.

0 Likes
MRJones33
Enthusiast - Level 3

I know how to read my bill and I know what I got myself into. I have absolutely zero remorse for paying $330 to upgrade my S7 Edge to a Note7... and I would do it again in a heart beat. I needed a phone in June and the S7 Edge was upgrade eligible once 50% was paid off. it was a very simple business decision and it made sense to me. Sure... I could have paid $800 for the S7 Edge and sold it on ebay and gotten more for it, but there is the time, hastle, etc... A bird in the hand is worth two in the bush.

What doesn't make sense is that Verzion wants to "go back to the way things were." That means I had an S7 Edge that was half paid off. Right now I have a Note7 which is the best phone on the planet right now. They want me to give it back to them and in return, I don't have to make any more payments on it. That isn't anywhere close to fair... in anyone's book. I paid good money to upgrade to the Note7... and if I can't keep my Note7, I want my money back... and I'm not taking about a $100 credit from Samsung to make up for my $330 loss to Verizon.

There is absolutely no difference between my complaint and the complaints of people who traded in something that was upgrade eligible already. In the end they paid $400 over time and I paid it all upfront. What's unacceptable is that we get a new phone with a new 2 year payment plan and Verizon is going to make us pay the full 2 years on it, not half.

Verizon needs to see that people are being cheated out of $400 here... in my case it was on the front end... for a lot of other people it is on the backend (meaning they got out of their phone contract to get the new Note7).