Anyone found a way to get an unlocked Note 9 on WiFi calling?
SBMongoose
Enthusiast - Level 2

I guess I probably would have gone with the bloated version had I been able to determine the unlocked doesn't support WiFi calling.

When talking with Samsung and Verizon beforehand I was told it would. Not suprised I guess.  

Was hoping someone found a work around. 

Labels (1)
Re: Anyone found a way to get an unlocked Note 9 on WiFi calling?
mama23dogs
Legend

No.  Only branded phones get advanced calling.   

Samsung phones have no significant bloat since the S7 series.  What little is on board can be uninstalled.  

0 Likes
SBMongoose
Enthusiast - Level 2

Since I have an unlocked Note 9 can a Verizon store load their OS image onto the phone so I then have WiFi calling?

vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

We know the Wi-Fi calling feature can certainly come in handy, SBMongoose. The representatives at the store would not be able to change the software with your phone. Are you experiencing trouble with calls in your home or a specific location?

NicoleR_VZW

0 Likes
SBMongoose
Enthusiast - Level 2

I'm now seeing WiFi calling. It can be enabled but I'm not sure if it's working. I'm not seeing the WiFi Calling icon in the notification area when enabled. Anyone else seeing this? Must have pushed out with the last update, or two.

0 Likes
mama23dogs
Legend

@SBMongoose wrote:

I'm now seeing WiFi calling. It can be enabled but I'm not sure if it's working. I'm not seeing the WiFi Calling icon in the notification area when enabled. Anyone else seeing this? Must have pushed out with the last update, or two.

To test it put your phone in airplane mode, then turn Wi-Fi back on. It should show the Wi-Fi calling icon. And you should be able to place a call over Wi-Fi or send a text over Wi-Fi. If it doesn’t work then it’s still not on

0 Likes
SBMongoose
Enthusiast - Level 2

"To test it put your phone in airplane mode, then turn Wi-Fi back on. It should show the Wi-Fi calling icon. And you should be able to place a call over Wi-Fi or send a text over Wi-Fi. If it doesn’t work then it’s still not on."

Tried this. Was able to make a call. I didn't get the Wi-Fi calling icon in the notification bar, but the call went through.

0 Likes
mama23dogs
Legend

Sounds like you’re in luck!

0 Likes