Can't get Marshmallow as yet
artem

Hi. Recently i bought used unlocked note 5 (SM-N920V) Everything works fine except system update, I can't get Marshmallow.

I have no verizon contract, live far outside from US and not able to get verizon sim card. I have read that absence of verizon sim card can be the reason.

If I am trying to get system update on the phone (Settings->System update) I got the message “Service unavailable. Software update is temporarily unavailable. Try again later” I'm keep trying whole last week and the message doesn't change.

I also have tried Software Upgrade Assistant and it keep telling me “your software is up to date”.

Could you please tell me the way to get Marshmallow?

Also even if i'm a Verizon customer in some ways i can't see the way to contact the support service. I can't find support email and can not sign up without US phone number anywhere except community forums.

0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Can't get Marshmallow as yet
kenyaone
Enthusiast - Level 3

You can get Marshmallow update using software upgrade assistant. The app connects you directly to Verizons servers and downloads the firmware first to your PC then connected Note 5 will update. The instructions are there. I used the Verizon assistant in January 2016 and updated my Note 5 for Security update perfectly. Verizon have some kind of a problem they are sorting out with rollout of Marshmallow through assistant.Once resolved update will be available. I am in Kenya and using a verizon note 5 on a local network and there was no problem.

View solution in original post

0 Likes
bearone21
Legend

the phone needs to be activated, you're not going to get the update over wi-fi.

0 Likes
artem

Why not, is this a policy of Verizon?

And how i can get done so?

However i can make calls, use LTE and so with my local operator. It doesn't matter for me which way to get the update: LTE, WiFi or over the wire to PC.

0 Likes
deloused
Master - Level 3

Verizon would have no way of delivering any software updates to any device not connected to their network.

artem

Is this an official position "no service for the devices we sell"? Where i can read about it?

Sounds sad, i expected more from company like Verizon.

Is there any other way to get update (from Samsung for example, or get the image which can be uploaded to phone with PC)?

However, thanks for answer.

0 Likes
deloused
Master - Level 3

You'd have to ask Samsung about how to receive software updates for their products as they manufacture the device, and develop the software updates for their devices, whether they're for devices sold by Verizon, AT&T, Sprint, T-Mobile, Vodafone, Orange, Best Buy, Walmart etc.

Retailers resell the devices they purchase from the manufacturer, service providers deliver software updates over the air when a device is active on their network. All software comes from the manufacturer.

0 Likes
kenyaone
Enthusiast - Level 3

You can get Marshmallow update using software upgrade assistant. The app connects you directly to Verizons servers and downloads the firmware first to your PC then connected Note 5 will update. The instructions are there. I used the Verizon assistant in January 2016 and updated my Note 5 for Security update perfectly. Verizon have some kind of a problem they are sorting out with rollout of Marshmallow through assistant.Once resolved update will be available. I am in Kenya and using a verizon note 5 on a local network and there was no problem.

0 Likes
artem

Oh, good news, thank you! I will waiting for release of this update through Assistant. Hope it wouldn't take too long.

0 Likes