Disappointed with the Note 3 Lollipop update!
kaybracon
Contributor - Level 1

I've been very unhappy with this new update.

1) My battery life has been worse; I used to be able to easily make it 16 hours on a charge.  Now I'm lucky to make it 12. 

2) The device is noticably slower - unlocking, loading apps, changing screens, everything has a lag that wasn't there before.

I mentioned it at the Verizon store today, and the rep said she was having the same issues with her phone since she got the update.

I realize that Verizon is not going to provide a fix, nor is there a way to go back, but I want to register my disappointment.

Re: Disappointed with the Note 3 Lollipop update!
Doug_S1
Enthusiast - Level 3

While my batt usage seems to be same as 4.4.4, I agree pnone is now slower as well as other issues I described earlier...

and the screenshot using the s-pen often captures the s-pen window; not what I want on screenshots! and no way to control/delete the s-pen window before it takes image capture.

At least Verizon should have a place here (sticky) where we can log all issues (one for bugs and one for OS operation) in one place and make suggestions....no better than customers providing supplier with good ideas and what "updates" went right or wrong..."bugs" and irrespective of bugs (awkward use).

0 Likes
MiiHere
Champion - Level 3

Verizon didn't design the update and they are quite aware of all the issues. Until v5.1 comes out you could try a factory reset, many users have reported some of the issues they have encountered are cured or at least more bearable.

0 Likes
kaybracon
Contributor - Level 1

Thanks...I've done the factory reset, and battery life is still much worse than before.

Verizon's response? 

Either try unistalling 3rd party apps or upgrade to a new phone!

This utter incomptance on the part of Verizon, along with their removing Tap and Pay for the Note 3 is really making me consider moving to another provider.

0 Likes
MiiHere
Champion - Level 3

Before your factory reset did you disable back up data and automatic restore? Word is that can help when a standard factory reset doesn't.

Under Settings>battery what does it say are the top few things draining the battery? You'll get the best results by charging the device to 100%, using it as normal and then looking once it's down to 25%.

0 Likes
Doug_S1
Enthusiast - Level 3

Verizon is a party to the update...they add their stuff and modify some of the code...AND they test (inadequately?)  before releasing the OTA update file and they could control the update notices etc. Verizon is not clean on this Lollipop set of issues, tho they are not responsible for everything.

0 Likes
kaybracon
Contributor - Level 1

I've talked to two Verizon reps at the stores now who admit that the Lollipop update was bad, and there's no ETA for a fix.  One rep said that her Galaxy S5 also has worse battery life and runs slower.  The other rep said that the update messed up everybody's phones. 

I found a Droid Turbo on Craigslist last week; Verizon hasn't done a Lollipop update for that phone yet.  When they do, I'm going to do everything I can NOT to accept it for a few months.

So far, I'm a lot happier with the phone, But I now have a sour taste in my mouth for both Verizon and Samsung.

0 Likes
MiiHere
Champion - Level 3

Depends on who you talk with. I have 2 phones and while I notice small things after the update all of them have been fixable.

0 Likes
catfacepanda

My Note 3 was slower and battery drained faster within the 1st week of the Lollipop update. After that, it settled back to normal and I haven't had any real issues since. I don't have apps that claim to "save/rescue/heal battery life" and I don't use the free music downloaders because these tend to cause issues rather beyond their intended purpose. Also, even though it's a pain, updates are better applied to a phone that has been factory wiped. The more apps you have installed, the more complicated it is for the update to optimize on the device.

0 Likes
excelon
Enthusiast - Level 1

I too am having the same problems. Its a lack of support from Samsung (who create the update) and Verizon (who test and approve the update). What's disappointing is that there has been no update to FIX these bugs.

Also Google is to blame, until 5.1 Lollipop had many bugs.

Regards,

Unsatisfied Customer.

0 Likes