Re: Dropped calls on note 4 vs note 3 vs note 2
angialex
Enthusiast - Level 2

Well, due to the fact that I have never owned a Note 2, that would be a very good probability. I was not referring to 'just' the 4LTE, but was a generalization as a long time rural customer. Also, I've already previously stated the issues and what I have noticed to be contributing factors regarding them. I have read each reply in this thread and have responded in kind.

Thank You

0 Likes
colfrmb2
Contributor - Level 1

That is very interesting to hear that the note 2' s frequency capabilities are more substantial than the note 4's.  I appreciate that information very much.  On that "note," pun in intended, are there any current Verizon phones that use the lower frequency?  My problems are not only inside buildings on my property but also in the general area of several miles in diameter.  Is it possible that the local towers have not been upgraded to match the new frequencies accurately? If the tower is owned by a private party, are they required to upgrade? (If that is the correct scenario)

0 Likes
stef7
Master - Level 2

Phones like the Note3 were made ready for this new band4 AWS, and so when VZW rolled out service on the new band, the phones switched to it. Being of higher frequency, the signal propagates and penetrates buildings differently than the lower frequencies the phone was using, and people were complaining. I believe my phone (an LG G2) was also using the older band until the switch. I didn't have a problem though.

Maybe LG got it right with the G2, where Samsung didn't with the N3. For Note3 owners perhaps they needed better software to run their radios, but it could also be they had faulty hardware or antennas. It's hard to know... Some people report a "fix" only when they've gotten a recent build N3 replacement from Samsung.

I'm sorry, I know of no way to disable the new band in your Note4 to see if it works better / more reliably when using the older band. Once upon a time, there was a "hidden" service menu one could get to using the keypad to enable / disable different aspects of one's device. You can understand why the carrier wouldn't want people using it.

0 Likes
colfrmb2
Contributor - Level 1

Then which other phones have better software to run their radios?  Doesn't Verizon or somebody do studies on that or do they just compare the fun stuff like processor speed and screen resolution? 

0 Likes
Jason_Nipp
Contributor - Level 3

I am at the point I can't make calls from within my home.  My Facinate, G2, G4, Note 2 all flawless, Note 4 drops my calls constantly.   I get very poor signal level anywhere but in the city. 

This concerns me as I gave up my landline for wireless.

vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Jason_Nipp

I definitely want do keep you connected with a device that works for you! How long have you had this service trouble on your Note 4? Are there any areas it receives better service?

RuthW_VZW
Follow us on twitter @VZWSupport

0 Likes
Jason_Nipp
Contributor - Level 3

2 bars is normal.   Phone works good in the City of Chicago and Tucson, but anywhere else I have been outside the hearts of the city are 2 bars and constant dropped calls.   My last check showed -108 dBm 32 asu.

I never had these issues with any of my older Samsung Galaxies.   xLTE??

I've had this phone since December.   I refuse to exchange a brand new Note 4 for a refurb, especially since I am certain it will not provide resolution.  I will switch carriers before I do that.

I had been communicating with Verizon Engineering and have a case #, Was told there was a generator issue on a tower near my home.  Funny thing is my old Galaxy 4, my son's Galaxy 4, and my daughter's iPhone do not have an issue.  I think it's the higher frequencies being pushed.  The reason I have been a Verizon customer for 10 plus years is because of CDMA and stronger signals in rural areas of the country.   In the end your going to lose me as a customer because I can't make a simple phone call.  With all this smartphone addiction, and people placing emphasis on caring about absolute connectivity... seems the basics of being able to place a phone call are no longer highest priority.

Thanks

colfrmb2
Contributor - Level 1

I am in the same boat. Is it possible to get a definitive resolution rather than just best wishes?

0 Likes
colfrmb2
Contributor - Level 1

I am ever willing to admit defeat with the Note 4.  That said, I need a new phone.  If I cannot get consistent service with the next phone that I choose, will I be able to exchange it and in fact exchange them all until I get one that actually makes a call connection and keeps the signal on a regular basis?  Am I going to have to pay a restocking fee every time I need to switch to another phone?  This isn't for fun.  This is to get a real phone that works as a phone and then has the bells and whistles.  I switched to Verizon for the security of the better coverage.  Now I guess I have lost that security and nobody wants to try to resolve it other than to say, we don't want you to be unhappy.  Work with me/us to resolve this.  Offer options so I can choose whether to stay or not.  Otherwise, I guess I have to leave. 

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Jason_Nipp we definitely don't want you to feel that way! It sounds like you are using your phone in another area compared to the originator of this thread. Could I get the zip code that you are using this phone in so I can check the coverage? Thanks in advance!

BryanS_VZW
Follow us at Twitter @vzwsupport

0 Likes