Dropped calls on note 4 vs note 3 vs note 2
colfrmb2
Contributor - Level 1

I had a Note 4 for a week. Nearly every call in my home area dropped and only when I came into the city could I keep a call. I had a booster but it only works in my house and not in the mile area around my house and it isn't that remote here, I can see a subdivision that  is about 2.5 miles away as the crow flies.  So now I continue to use my old Note 2 which never has a prob with dropped calls.  When I was trying the Note 4, they changed my sim card twice to no avail.  My husband tried a note 3 last yr and had the same prob w/dropped calls and he switched to the iphone which has worked fine for him.  I  continue to use my note 2.  I want the new phone.  Is the Note 4 receiver not as robust or is the manufacture of the electronics so variable that one machine will work better than another of the same model?

Re: Dropped calls on note 4 vs note 3 vs note 2
colfrmb2
Contributor - Level 1

At the store they also tried switching the mobile network setting from Global to CDMA/LGE and back.  It didn't seem to make a difference.  Lots of trips to the store in 1 week, sometimes twice a day.  I would love to have the new phone but not if I can't make calls on it!

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

colfrmb2 We want you to have a reliable phone without dropped calls. We can't say that either phone would prevent dropped calls based on the model. What phone did you have before the Note 4? Also, there is the Worry Free Guarantee return period within the first 14 days of purchase or holiday return if the phone was purchased on or after 11/27/14.

SheritaH_VZW
Follow us on Twitter
@VZWSupport

0 Likes
colfrmb2
Contributor - Level 1

I have an original Note 2 but it took a couple of those to get one that worked.  I am still using the Note 2.  I did use the worry free guarantee to return the Note 4. I prefer a phone with a stylus and so I really wanted a Note 4. So does the hardware quality differ from one piece of hardware to the next in spite of quality control?  Is the call connectivity software of the Note 4 model not as robust the software of the Note 2?  Clearly my Note 2 holds a signal better than did the Note 4 I used.  Just not sure if another Note 4 would have been successful.  Should I wait for an s/w upgraide to try again?  Does Verizon keep stats for public viewing that pertain to receiver/call connectivity quality of various phones?  I have read that the flip phones have better "call quality".  If that is true, why?

vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

colfrmb2,

Thank you for reaching back out to us. These are all good questions that you are asking. Each phone could have different outcome for service. This could all be on how the phone is made also where they placed the antenna in the devices. When you were using the Note 4, were you using the sim card that you currently have in your Note 2 or did you use a brand new sim card? Please keep us posted.

KevinR_VZW
Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport 

0 Likes
colfrmb2
Contributor - Level 1

Thanks for responding to my inquiry.  At first they just put my sim card from my Note 2 into my Note 4 but then, when that didn't work, they put a brand new sim card in the Note 4.  But it didn't seem to make a difference.  In the "old days" you could push #228 to resynch with the local towers.  Now you are not supposed to do that? 

0 Likes
colfrmb2
Contributor - Level 1

Sorry, I realize that the sim card now does the same thing the 228 feature performed previously.

Is the antenna in a different location on the Note 4 hardware than it is on the Note 2?  Can you tell where the antenna is by looking at the outside of a phone?

It is difficult to evaluate phones online because most users post for negatives and if the provider or manufacturers don't post stats - or do they? That is my question, I guess. the only other way to know the reception of a "phone" is by trial and error but they don't let you "test out multiple phones' when you upgrade.

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

I appreciate the additional information Colfrm2. To ensure there are no reported issues in your home area, can you provide us with your zip code? Has service ever worked ok in your home area? Do you notice the issues indoors only or does this happen both indoors and outdoors?

Thank You,
MichelleL_VZW
VZW Support
Follow us on Twitter @VZWSUPPORT

0 Likes
colfrmb2
Contributor - Level 1

My zip code is 80104.  It does happen in the house but also while outside and driving down the road. After a couple of disconnects,  I usually end up switching to a land line in the house.  Just can't have dropped calls.

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Thanks for the location and additional info, colfrmb2. I know from experience how aggravating failed calls can be, though it hasn't been part of my experience since coming to Verizon Wireless. That zip code covers a large portion of Colorado. From what I can see by way of coverage, it varies greatly from one end of the area to the other with some sections showing some serious service challenges. This is going to be the case outdoors, while indoors (as you've noticed) service will vary even more.

You can have a look at the coverage for your specific location at this link: http://vz.to/18Mbqt8

DionM_VZW
Follow us on Twitter www.twitter.com/vzwsupport

0 Likes