Early Upgrade for Note 7, Now I have to Downgrade and Reset Contract Date?
mgoelkers
Enthusiast - Level 2

I recently bought out my Samsung Galaxy S6 Edge so I could upgrade early to the Note 7. Now that the Note 7 has been recalled (which I love by the way and have had ZERO overheating issues) I am being "strongly encouraged" to turn it in and exchange for a different device of my choice. That is all well and good but my issue is that I don't want to downgrade to the S7 Edge and get stuck with that for a minimum of a year. I purposely spent the extra money to upgrade to a NEW phone, not one that is over 6 months old. I went into Verizon and asked if I turn in my Note 7 and downgrade to the S7 Edge for the time being, that I wanted to have the ability to turn in the S7 Edge once the S8 comes out and not have to wait until October of 2017 (the point at which I can trade in the device for another). Two different people at Verizon could not give me an answer or point me in the right direction. I do not think it is unreasonable to be able to be able to trade in my "downgrade" several months early for this debacle. I even said I would take my S6 Edge back, just reset me back to where I was in my payment plan.

Has anyone had a similar issue, and if so, what did Verizon tell you?

Thanks

0 Likes
Re: Early Upgrade for Note 7, Now I have to Downgrade and Reset Contract Date?
ChrisDG74
Enthusiast - Level 3

They won't answer that question. All they do is copy and paste from their scripts. You can try calling and speaking to someone. You MAY get an answer from a live person. These xxxx_vzw "people" who will respond to you shortly, are completely useless.

rcschnoor
Legend

Actually, the S7 Edge is not currently available for an annual upgrade. If you choose to purchase that phone on payments NOW, you would have to pay off the full amount to upgrade, not 50%. Of course, you would then have that phone to do with what you would like, for example use it as a backup in case something like this happens again. If you get rid of it, you could find yourself in the same situation you face currently.

mgoelkers wrote:

I even said I would take my S6 Edge back, just reset me back to where I was in my payment plan.

Verizon does not "hold" the phones you turn in to get out of continuing making payments on. They refurbish them and either sell/donate/whatever. You want your old phone held in reserve, pay off the balance instead of turning it in next time. Then you won't find yourself in this predicament if something should happen.

0 Likes
DCGUCCI1
Enthusiast - Level 3

I'm not asking for the exact phone back...just the same model and where I left off on my contract when I traded it in

0 Likes
tschmalz
Enthusiast - Level 3

I'm not trading in [Removed] until they offer a suitable replacement. I smell a lawsuit coming on....

Profanity removed as required by the Verizon Wireless Terms of Service

Message edited by Verizon Moderator

0 Likes
rcschnoor
Legend

That's the point, you would be getting a NEW phone, not a USED one you turned in.

You don't want to pay for a NEW phone, purchase a USED one off of swappa.com or similar site at a reduced price over what a NEW phone would cost. THEN you would be able to upgrade to whatever you would like when the Note 8 or acceptable device becomes available.

THAT is the LEAST expensive way you will be able to upgrade to the Note7/S8/whatever if you don't have a phone you can reactivate. THAT is why MANY of us keep a backup in the first place.

0 Likes
mgoelkers
Enthusiast - Level 2

I realize it won't be my actual S6 Edge. I don't care if it is refurbished, as long as it is in good working condition. I already pay insurance on my phone so I typically trade them in as the new ones come out. My issue is my contract "reset" date. I have encountered an issue beyond my control with the Note 7. I realize it is also not Verizon's fault the Note 7 has issues. But whether I am paying $33 a month for the older S7 Edge and then switch to paying $33 a month ( I assume approximately the same price) for the S8 Edge, Verizon is still getting $33 a month. I have already taken a dollar hit by upgrading early, which is to Verizon's cost advantage. It is to my cost disadvantage but my contract timeline advantage, except it isn't anymore.

I paid extra to get a new phone. I am now given the ultimatum, that if I want to stick to a Samsung device, I really paid extra to get an old phone. Not happy. The way I see it, there are three choices,

1.) Give me a new/refurbished S6 Edge and put me financially back to where I was several weeks ago with the same contract. Then I can upgrade to the S8 Edge no problem when it comes out. (Fair)

2.)  Give me a S7 Edge where I pay $33 a month. Then when the S8 Edge comes out I hand over my S7 Edge, take a S8 Edge, and pay $33 a month or whatever it is. (Obviously more to my advantage than Verizon, but hey, I have been jumping through these stupid hoops and I'm getting tired.)

(both options presented to Verizon people, with only blank stares and "I can't make any decision")

Weth
Legend

#2 won't happen.

For #1 You can get a refurbished S7 Edge at Best Buy, they are offering 12 month interest free financing. 

0 Likes
mgoelkers
Enthusiast - Level 2

So my only option is to eat the early upgrade fee, trade in my Note 7, and spend an additional ~$450+ on a refurb phone?

So what is my incentive to turn in my Note 7? $100 from Samsung?

I would be willing to bet that statistically, I have a higher chance of dying in an automobile crash on the way to turn in my Note 7 than actually having my Note 7 overheat and melt.

tschmalz
Enthusiast - Level 3

Ha, yup exactly. That's why i am going to keep my Note7, keep my upgrade status, and wait for a phone that I actually want to be released.

0 Likes