Email Issue since Marshmallow Update
JWB357
Enthusiast - Level 2

I have an issue that is stumping me. Since applying the 6.0.1 Update my email app is no longer synching with the host server.

Let me explain what I mean by sync so there is no confusion. I use POP3 with Cablevision (Optimum.net) and have always had 2 accounts on my various Android devices. By various I mean different phones over the years. (All Android.)

During the daytime hours I work from home and have both a work laptop and home PC. These accounts show up on my home PC which is my primary email station. IE: This is where I save mail I want to keep in private folders. I use the email app on my Galaxy Note 5 to read email that arrives when not at home.

If I delete from my Galaxy Note 5, it does indeed still delete the email from the Optimum Server. But if I boot up my PC and lets say I have 50 emails between accounts which I then clean up. My Optimum account (verified by using Web Access) has ZERO emails in it. But if I look at my phone it will continue to show all the 50 that came in overnight. If I slide the phone screen to sync, all 50 remain on the phone unless I delete them all a second time.

It worked fine up until the Marshmallow Update. Again, using POP3, not IMAP.

Thanks,

Jeff

Re: Email Issue since Marshmallow Update
bearone21
Legend

i use imap on everything & wonder when you setup email on the note5 did you duo auto or manual....auto sets up imap.

i had to redo the sync on 2 imap accounts.

whatever you do on the phone should leave mail on the server & the phone until deleted on the pc.

0 Likes
JWB357
Enthusiast - Level 2

Nope..it is setup as POP3. I did auto but just looked and it is POP3. Just to be clear...This worked perfectly with the built in Android Email App before upgrade to 6.0.1. Every user views their devices in a different fashion. Because I struggle with reading glasses, my home PC with my 27 inch monitors is my base of operations. But like everyone, I am on the road frequently and rely on my cell for email notifications. Let's say I work from home for 3 days and during those 3 days, I handle 40 emails each day. When I connect from home I pull ALL the email down to my PC. That is how I use it. I then use my phone when out and about to pre screen emails that come in until I get back home.

Using the above, I didn't look at my phone's email those 3 days. When I did, it showed all 120 emails still there and I had to delete them all a second time from that device. What happened prior to the upgrade is when it performed a sync, it would see the mail was removed from the server and remove it from the phone without me doing anything. That is what broke. As I said, it worked 100% fine until the upgrade.

Thanks,

Jeff

0 Likes
Tidbits
Legend

Did you try and clearing data of the email app and then setting up each email app again?

0 Likes
JWB357
Enthusiast - Level 2

Thanks Tidbits. I did.

I finally just downloaded the K-9 EMail App which is free and it works flawlessly like the built in Mail App did prior.

The Android built in Email App deletes from the server fine when I delete it from the device. What is doesn't do is synchronize if I clean up my mail from my home PC or a Web Client at a library as an example. When I next look at my device all this emails I cleaned up via my home PC or Web Client are still on my Samsung.

Remember, this has worked fine in the past. Galaxy S4, Galaxy S5, Galaxy S5 and now on my Galaxy Note 5. Those are my past 4 devices and it has always been easy to use and worked fine. The only difference is the 6.0.1 Marshmallow update appeared about 8 days ago. I installed it and the mail no longer works as it should.

For now I'm satisfied since I got the K-9 Application to work right. But it's a shame no one else seems to have seen this issue. I could always reset the phone and start over but too much effort to do that at this point.

Jeff

KJIsaacson
Enthusiast - Level 2

Jeff,

My Galaxy S6 just updated to Marshmallow yesterday, and I am no experiencing the same problem you describe. I have a number of pop3 accounts. Prior to update, if messages arrived on my phone and I later downloaded them to my computer, the next time the phone sync'd the messages would disappear from the phone. After update, the messages continue to show on the phone. This, even though I've confirmed that they are no longer on the pop3 server.

I used to use K-9, and may have to go back to it. But I agree--VZW (or whomever) ought to address this!

Ken

0 Likes
Klein619

I am having the same issue with my Verizon email since the update.  Hopefully this will be fixed soon as I have 250+ emails daily.

0 Likes
bearone21
Legend

when i did the 601 update many things changed & one was sync schedule for my email accounts.

as long as pop3 email is on another machine, it's not deleted from the server & the phone on the next sync,unless the phone has selected "leave on server". it won't stay deleted on the phone.

0 Likes
dvolsysop

I have had the same issue since the update and use email very much as you do. Email deleted from my primary server does not delete the message from my phone as it used to prior to Marshmallow. There definitely seems to be a software issue here, which may or may not be resolved with an update/fix in the future.

0 Likes
MarkZinNY

I have the same issue on my Galaxy S6 since Marshmallow update.  E-mail I delete using my computer from my Roadrunner account (Time Warner) does not delete from my phone when I refresh sync on my phone.  E-mail I delete from my phone does delete from the server as it no longer appears on my computer.  There was no problem before the Marshmallow update.

Does anyone have a suggestion?

0 Likes