External Speaker Still Active While Head Phones Are In....
Strunker

This is a super serious issue to me as I spend a lot of time with my headphones in while traveling on planes, on quiet cars in trains, and in the library studying.

What I have noticed, only after pissing off a lot of people around me, is that when the headphones are plugged into this device you receive notification sounds via the headphones as well as the external speaker.

This is NOT how this should be working, it doesnt work like this on any other handset I have ever owned, driod incredible, droid bionic, iphone, etc. All of them route notification sound ONLY to the headphones when they are plugged in. What sense does it make to have sounds also come out of the external speaker while headphones are plugged in?

I looked in all the sound options throughout the entire phone and have found 0 settings that can control this. And I did a quick search on google, and this has apparently been an issue with other Samsung devices I wasnt at all aware of before I purchased this note 3 at full price..See link below to other convos on the subject.

https://www.google.com/search?q=external+speakers+active+while+head+phones+are+plugged+in+samsung&ie...

I do not know who are where to turn to at this point but this, in my mind at least, is a huge issue. There are only two solutions at this time:

1) totally mute all your sounds via settings when you have your headphones on. This option flat out sucks, as then you do not hear any notifications coming through the headphones either.

2) download an app called soundabout. This also shouldnt be necessary. I have 2 issues with this. I just paid 700 dollars + tax for a phone, why should I need an app to make it function normally. And second, how do I know this app is active at all every time I plug my head phones in. I don't. So I may think the app is working, but in reality it may not be and I still may be causing a ruckus for all the other people in my near vicinity.

I honestly advise everyone to test this, as I have, plug a pair of headphones in(and yes I have tried multiple sets of headphones) and you will notice the same issue, sound comes out from both headphones and external device speaker.

0 Likes
Re: External Speaker Still Active While Head Phones Are In....
Ann154
Community Leader
Community Leader

You have also verified the headphone plug is fully seated in it slot? Sometimes cases don't let the headphone plug go all the way in.

These headphones work correctly when connected to other devices, correct?

I'm most definitely NOT a VZW employee. If a post answered your question, please mark it as the answer.

0 Likes
Ann154
Community Leader
Community Leader

Just remembered, on my Galaxy S4, I get a notification and symbol in the notification bar that headphones are plugged in. Do you get the same notification?

I'm most definitely NOT a VZW employee. If a post answered your question, please mark it as the answer.

0 Likes
Strunker

They are all the way plugged in, I can actually see the headphones icon as well. I have also tried three different sets, all from different manufacturers.

I also replicated this issue on a galaxy note 1 as well as an s3.

On your s4, if you have your headphones plugged in and you receive a text, it isnt being routed out through the external speaker as it is in my case?

PS. I also do not have a case for it yet Smiley Happy

0 Likes
Ann154
Community Leader
Community Leader

I so rarely use my headphones and receive a text message at the same time. I happen to have a set of headphones so I recruited someone else to receive messages from.

I was also able to duplicate the problem. While the headphone are plugged in, I was getting sound from both the headphones and the speakers.

0 Likes
Strunker

Yes. So it seems to impact all galaxy devices, which leads me to believe this is either intended (lord knows why it would be) or it is something that has simply gone overlooked and never reported to them. I filed a case with Samsung and hope to hear back from them. Hopefully more people see this issue and post here so this is pushed up the chain.

0 Likes