GN4 Marshmallow 601 update
Omads_Dad
Enthusiast - Level 1

Warning for GN4 users, based on content of message boards the GN4 Marshmallow 601 update is doing exactly the same thing that the Marshmallow  60 update to the GS6 did.

The loss of functionality from the previous OS was an issue as well but completely over shadowed by power issues.

After update to my GS6 the phone would endlessly trap in a loop of starting and crashing.

Reinitialising the phone did not correct, all it did was lose data and apps that were loaded.

Holding Vol UP Home and Power to access root boot up screen and clearing caches seemed to stabilise for a while but no joy in the log run.

Still almost daily I have to hold Vol Down and Power buttons to force clean re boot.

Battery would overheat and loop into start crash randomly. Clean boot would cure for short time.

Only way to charge the phone was to close all open apps and wireless or usb charge.

Rendomly would still trap in restart loop while charging

OR

Whilst on charge it would charge to 100% then discharge from full to 0% in 2 hours and then recharge until it repeated or went into trap of shut down reboot cycle.

Many GS6 users have reported exactly the same issues and there is no joy from any source.

Marshmallow 601 update released short time ago, and was applied automatically, with no change to the manic nature of the phone.

But Hooray the GS6 phone is now a brick and has been certified as such, warranty replacement GS6 is on the way.

I am not even going to charge it I will pay the fees and upgrade to the GS7 which comes with Marshmallow and block all upgrades.

This is for your edification and enlightenment.

I know 99.9$ of people will not check the bulletin boards before upgrading but spread the word PLEASE.

MARSHMALLOW has serious issues as an upgrade.

0 Likes
Re: GN4 Marshmallow 601 update
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Omads_Dad - Having the latest software on your device makes your device work better. I apologize for the issues you had after it was installed. When did you download the Software? Did you try the Software repair assistant to fix the issues you were having? http://vz.to/1Xg1brP I am happy to hear your replacement device is on its way to you. Here's a link that will help you activate your repavcement device once you receive it. http://vz.to/1sbtGVv

JacobV_VZW
Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport
If my response answered your question please click the �Correct Answer� button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!!

0 Likes
Re: GN4 Marshmallow 601 update
Omads_Dad
Enthusiast - Level 1

Jacob, Thank you for the response.

This thread is more an advisory to other users who will upgrade from Lollipop to Marshmallow as it is rolled out for older devices.

The "Marshmallow" and the later "upgrade" to fix issues were installed as they were rolled out for the GS6 and the issues began during the Marshmallow install process.

Yes I did use the software repair assistant and the phone had to be "repaired" twice.

Even after clean installs with no 3rd party apps the phone exhibited the same symptoms.

That the inserting of the usb charging plug or utilising wireless charging started the trap into reboot / shutdown/restart points to kernel/hardware interface/communication issues this includes the reported high battery temperatures and  battery discharge rates, Bluetooth and wireless communication problems, Blue led of death traps and many more reported issues.

As this occurs with a large number of devices from various manufacturers indicates that there is a fundamental kernel/firmware/hardware issue, which points to the developer not testing the OS on real hardware sufficiently.

If this release had been tested in the real world  on real hardware it would have been rejected in the first day of testing.

It is a well known issue where developers using a later version of earlier chipsets or "Virtual Hardware" to test, do not experience the base users environment and so sign off on the stability not based on the real hardware.

Phones are now mission critical devices and deserve the testing and certifications as such.

As the Marshmallow upgrade is not suitable for Lollipop certified hardware there is cause for major concern for the users that the OS they have been using will be replaced by something that is totally unstable and as in my case cost them money to rectify due to having to upgrade to later hardware.

I am dreading the rollout of Nougat (Android 7) and the issues that will surface with the Marshmallow certified hardware.

By the way the replacement device was only enabled to certify its operability during the upgrade trade in process.

Interestingly there is no "Correct Answer" button under your response so there is nothing for me to ignore.

Thank you for the response.

0 Likes