GPS location
kattyd208
Enthusiast - Level 1

Recently my GPS location has become inaccurate. I'm not sure if it's always been that way or if it just started happening after the KitKat update, but I can't use my GPS location for anything. Grr!!!

Anyone else have similar issues? I tried talking to Verizon in store and on the phone, they said it was a bug with KitKat. I got transferred to a Samsung technician who told me it's Verizon's network causing the issue. At this point I'm beyond frustrated and I don't want to play this blame game.

Please let me know if you find a fix.

Tags (1)
0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: GPS location
kattyd208
Enthusiast - Level 1

I took my phone to the store where the representative told me it was a "KitKat problem" and "Kitkat is really buggy". They also told me that a patch would probably be sent, but couldn't say how long that would take. So when I got home I proceeded to call Verizon Technical Support. The girl on the phone was very nice, but all she did was read some things on the forum and did not solve my problem. Instead, she transferred me to a Samsung technician who could remote access my phone. He checked to make sure there wasn't interference from another app. After an hour with him, he let me know that everything was working fine with my phone and that the problem was with the signal I was receiving from Verizon. Ge could not fix the problem because Verizon was sending my phone inaccurate data.

I found the solution to fix the problem. I had to reset my device to factory settings in order for it to be fixed and now my GPS works again.  It still lags at times and can be slow, but it's a huge improvement to being told I am a mile away from my exact location.

I just can't believe that someone from either company couldn't tell me to do that in the first place. I read post from another user who said "we already know as soon as they push the update that we are going to have to reset our phone to factory settings as android users". It seems that this is a common occurrence when an update is pushed through so I will be prepared next time. 

View solution in original post

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Hello Kattyd208

I'm sorry your having Gps issues. Let's work together and get this addressed. Let's rule out an app causing this issue. Please power the device on in Safe mode and retest. Here's how: http://vz.to/O08LrB

JoeL_VZW
Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport

0 Likes
kattyd208
Enthusiast - Level 1

I took my phone to the store where the representative told me it was a "KitKat problem" and "Kitkat is really buggy". They also told me that a patch would probably be sent, but couldn't say how long that would take. So when I got home I proceeded to call Verizon Technical Support. The girl on the phone was very nice, but all she did was read some things on the forum and did not solve my problem. Instead, she transferred me to a Samsung technician who could remote access my phone. He checked to make sure there wasn't interference from another app. After an hour with him, he let me know that everything was working fine with my phone and that the problem was with the signal I was receiving from Verizon. Ge could not fix the problem because Verizon was sending my phone inaccurate data.

I found the solution to fix the problem. I had to reset my device to factory settings in order for it to be fixed and now my GPS works again.  It still lags at times and can be slow, but it's a huge improvement to being told I am a mile away from my exact location.

I just can't believe that someone from either company couldn't tell me to do that in the first place. I read post from another user who said "we already know as soon as they push the update that we are going to have to reset our phone to factory settings as android users". It seems that this is a common occurrence when an update is pushed through so I will be prepared next time. 

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Thanks for the update kattyd208! I understand how important it is to have accurate GPS location. I have personally experienced similar issues after software update and in addition to a factory reset, I am able to get much more accurate GPS readings if I simply enable WiFi (No need to connect to any WiFi network), as the surrounded WiFi networks provide more accurate location to the phone. Give it a try.

AntonioC_VZW
Follow us on Twitter at www.twitter.com/VZWSupport

0 Likes
hal3068

Had similar issue. Uninstalled Weather Channel APP which had recently updated and it started working

0 Likes