Galaxy Note 2 Mobile hotspot/4g uncompatibility?
Speckleburst
Enthusiast - Level 1

Hello, got a note two this week, and loving it, but it seems to have a problem with the mobile hotspot. Whenever I load -any- page on the computer it kills the data connection entirely for 5-10 seconds, then restarts with the same bars of 4G. It's not going to 1X or 3G, it just completely kills service all together. Every now and then it works perfectly fine, if I restart the phone a few times it will eventually work, but this is rather annoying. Still on an unlimited data plan, had mobile hotspot on previous 3 devices with this number, and all worked fine. Anyone able to help me out with some solution? Or have any idea if this is a known issue?

Thanks, Calena

Re: Galaxy Note 2 Mobile hotspot/4g uncompatibility?
JWestX24
Enthusiast - Level 2

I am having the same problem.  Whenever I connect more than one device the 4g data drops.  Several hours on the phone with Verizon and Samsung with no resolution. 

0 Likes
CDf3

I just got my Note 2, and I can't get any of my devices to connect to it using Mobile Hotpost.

0 Likes
JWestX24
Enthusiast - Level 2

Its a flawed hotspot unfortunately. >Comment deleted. Discussions, videos, links, etc, concerning rooting is not permitted per the VZW ToS<

Message was edited by: Verizon Moderator

0 Likes
CDf3

Finally got it to connect.  While searching online for a solution, I stumbled upon this page ...

http://tipsabc24.blogspot.com/2012/09/samsung-galaxy-note-2-n7100-wifi.html

I changed the Broadcast channel for my Hotspot.

I opened the Mobile Hotspot app, clicked on Configure, checked the box next to Show Advanced Options, scrolled down and changed the Broadcast Channel from Auto, to one that worked.  Which was in my case, #1.  I guess I had cordless phones or some other type device in my home that was causing some type of interference. 

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Thanks everyone for sharing your concerns with your mobile hotspot. The hotspot is a great feature and I would be lost without mine! CDf3 gave a great troubleshooting step to help with this issue. Changing the channel to 1, 6, or 11 is a great option. Please try that and let me know if it helps. Also, Speckleburst, when you stated yours restarts, is the phone completely rebooting or just the 4G signal comes up again after 5-10 seconds?

Let me know if you need further assistance.

MarquiaF_VZW
Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport

0 Likes
JWestX24
Enthusiast - Level 2

For me, the channel change did nothing.  For me, the issue was when more than one device was connected to the hotspot, the 4G signal would drop then connect then drop then connect nonstop.  The phone did not reboot.  Spent several hours on the phone with tech support no avail - Even spoke with tech support with Samsung.  Google states its a routing table issue with the hotspot app. 

0 Likes
magneticfusion

I also have the same problem. But....mine ONLY does it with Sony VIAO laptops. My XBox 360 and Dell laptop seems to work fine with it. I can what is happenening "cycling". The 4G turns on then off then back on every few seconds. What I've also noticed is this isn't just with my Note 2, s with my Galaxy S3, HTC Rezound, and HTC Thunderbolt...all the same exact thing! Some days it stays on all day, other days right after I turn it on it seems to do it right away. A temp solution was to use the tether feature. It still does it with that too but not near as often. But mine has always been with Sony laptops. Kinda weird. But I've changed my channel to channel 1 and I hope this works. Its been an over 2 year problem with me that Verizon has been unable to fix.

0 Likes
JWestX24
Enthusiast - Level 2

It is a problem with the Hotspot app routing table.  This is why it does this with multiple devices for you.  Verizon knows what the issue is.  Google created a work around but I am not allowed to post it here.  It is very unfortunate and I had to cancel the subscription to this service. 

thechidz
Enthusiast - Level 2

It's a known issue.  I've had the problem ever since the jellybean update on both my note 2 and my s3.  extremely frustrating