Galaxy Note 2 - using in Africa
Q-Traveler

I am traveling in Nigeria for work and want to use a local sim card (MTN).  I bought this phone to travel and take advantage of the tablet features instead of carrying a regular tablet.  Thus far, besides seeing "NON Verizon sim message and no signal meter --  it seems to work for voice and text only.  How can I use it for data?  MTN offers data plans - and I don't want my local workers calling long distance in order to reach me!   
Is there a way to unlock this so I can use the features as they are intended?   Will the new 'update' fix this issue?

Thanks... otherwise I will have to carry 2 phones and I shall be terminating my relationship with VZW when I return.

0 Likes
Re: Galaxy Note 2 - using in Africa
Not applicable

Did you contact verizons global department for information before you left for the trip?

I find it funny when people say things like

I shall be terminating my relationship with VZW when I return.

Go ahead terminate the only person that is going to be effected by this is yourself

0 Likes
Re: Galaxy Note 2 - using in Africa
Q-Traveler

the only thing they could tell me is to use the roaming / service at the extremely high per minute rate - and the expensive data plan.   I am not interested in roaming if I can use a local sim card to call here. 

If this phone is going to be locked down where I can't use it - then what good is it?  I can get an unlocked one and switch carriers.  They don't play this game in Europe or UK.   No sense paying for nothing.

0 Likes