Galaxy Note 3- NO RECEPTION
ajin

I am so disappointed with the Note 3. And at the very end of the day I am incredibly disappointed with Verizon. I've called and called about my reception... Note 3 in general doesn't have any reception in certain areas, like my own home. When I had a lower model phone I had mid to full reception at home.... until I got the Note 3. I have 1 bar to NO RECEPTION. Unbelievable. Why am I paying more than loamy family and all my friends for a service that I can't even use?!?!?!??!?! I am so upset and extremely disappointed. Note 3 was not an improvement it was a downgrade from a flip phone. This is not what a smart phone should be like.

0 Likes
Re: Galaxy Note 3- NO RECEPTION
jml1373

I am running into the same issue with my Note3. It will go from 4glte with 2 bars to no service as soon as I get a call. Its terrible frustrating when you are sold this phone over another by a vzw associate.

0 Likes
stef7
Master - Level 2

This has been posted elsewhere on this forum and if you Google it, you will find discussions on the topic of reception on other sites with your device.

Band4 AWS XLTE was enabled with the KK update. The frequencies this new band uses have poorer building penetration characteristics than the Band13 that used to carry all the LTE traffic. So yes, prior to the update, your phone might have been working just fine because it was using Band13.

However, it appears the Note3 is more susceptible to reception issues with the new band. Maybe it's the design. Yet it's possible (who knows)? that earlier build models of the Note3 used different radio hardware / low-level software... Because supposedly some Note3 owners are not having problems. But, it's also possible the owners not having problems are in a market where Band4 isn't available right now, so they aren't experiencing the issue.

If your phone won't work indoors or it regularly drops calls, really, call Samsung and tell them to send you a new device. One that works as a phone. Maybe if it's not new it will be a newer build Note3 with a better radio / modem software. Tell them if it's not that, you would consider another model phone that will work as a phone.

Geesh.

Now it's possible a SW patch might fix the problem, but when would that be made available, and would it truly fix the issue? Until then, you have a phone rendered a non-phone by KitKat and you had no choice in the matter of getting KK. You must be documented, and calm discussing what you have done to troubleshoot the issue, maybe some additional research on your part, and you must find someone in a position to do something for you.

0 Likes
ajin

Stef7 - Thank you for your advice. I've been trying almost all methods I could think of to make this work. I wanted to like the Note 3, but it's causing me more headache and inconvenience than anything. It's just odd that my Motorola Razr smartphone had full reception at my home versus no reception with my Note 3. The moment I got the Note 3 I had 1 bar of reception to , nothing.

I truly truly wanted to like the Note 3, but with these issues... I'm not quite sure I really have a choice. My Note 3 even went through a whole system reboot where I wiped off everything from the phone and started from scratch, hoping that would help..... It didn't help at all... having a hardware professional background, the Note 3 hardware is quite faulty creating this connection problem. Samsung needs to do a hardware update and send all those who own an Note 3 a NEW and improved Note 3 with almost the same technology of the Note 4, if they made any hardware changes to the Note 4.

It is difficult to work from home when I have no functioning phone.

Something's got to give.........

0 Likes
stef7
Master - Level 2

How did you pay for your Note3 and how long ago?

Under the battery, what is the build date?

0 Likes
ajin

Hi Stef7. I renewed my contract to a 2 year and paid $299.99. I got the phone brand new from the Verizon Store. Unfortunately, the build date is not mentioned on the device itself. That's odd. Build date is always required in order for the product to be sold. But I do remember being one of the firsts to purchase the Note 3 when it was released at Verizon.

0 Likes
stef7
Master - Level 2

In the battery compartment, under the battery. There HAS to be a model sticker there as well.

0 Likes
ajin

interesting how part labels have changed from just 2 years ago.... build date 09.2013.

0 Likes
stef7
Master - Level 2

Yeah, on another site, I think people were getting better reception with devices with a much much more recent build or refurb dates or more recent. Your device, being a very early introduction model was likely in the population that was going to have problems with the new band. But this is based on what I've read on another site.

Some people report their Note3 working just fine after disabling Band4 AWS, but I think this requires modding the device to acquire special privs to then access a special service menu and that would void your warranty (if you have one remaining).

0 Likes
ajin

I'm thinking the antenna is faulty in the Note 3 that was produced in the first months the phones were introduced. I'm glad I am still under warranty.

I have a call with Verizon later today to try and go through troubleshooting 1 last time before I move to the next steps of getting rid of the phone. Such a hassle switching phones. At least I may have a phone that is actually working within my living area.

0 Likes