Re: Galaxy Note 4 Android 5.1.1 Update - VZW FAIL
Jhahn01
Contributor - Level 1

I went to the Samsung website and talked to a chat guy in India which did absolutely no good, I did find a place on the Samsung site to leave comments

Which version of the Android ™ platform does my Samsung Note ® 4 use?

If enough of us complain and say we are going away from Samsung, maybe they will twist Verizon's arm to release it...

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

HoboX10, we would never want to see you leave the family. I understand your feelingsabout the issue at hand. We would like to let you know that we would like to turn things around and retain you for years to come. Please tell us more about your situation. We appreciate your feeback.
BobbyN_VZW
Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport
If my response answered your question please click the �Correct Answer� button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!!

0 Likes
emlspencer
Enthusiast - Level 3

Are you serious VZW?!?!?   Give us 5.1.1 and stop acting like ignorant morons.  You know what everyone's problems are.  I'm truly insulted at this stage that the only thing any of you support folks can offer is..... 'tell us what problems you have.'   'We don't want to lose you.'    'Look at our new plans for upgrading your device.' 

Why would anyone spend more money with a network that can do nothing better than beat around the bush and offer the same rhetoric we've been getting for the last 6 months???

VZW should truly be ashamed that they are being surpassed by what used to be inferior providers.

Miller6386
Contributor - Level 1

This is essentially a reply to everyone here and not meant to be a put down or picking on anyone.... We are all speculating on the reasoning behind NOT getting this update. With how close the release is to 6.0 perhaps VZW felt their resources would be better used being applied to devices that will not be getting 6.0 and getting them up to the newest available.

Being a business owner myself I have to sometimes look at what is the best option overall.. Granted it may not make everyone happy but sometimes it is the best option. Perhaps VZW had inside information that the Note 4 would receive 6.0 tentatively at the beginning of 2016 and felt it would be best not to "waste" time and resources on 5.1.1 when they can update to 6.0 just a short time later...

If this does happen then all of the nay-sayers who get 6.0 on the VZW Note 4 quickly will be happy.... Of course most of this could be all avoided with a site/thread for each VZW device where VERIZON can post updates and statuses on what is going on... I am not saying they have to post dates but I think that a HUGE portion of the threads across all devices could be avoided.

All we really want is to be informed of what is happening. The threads with the updates could be locked to VZW personnel only but still give us all the information we are asking for....

As for issues with the Note 4 YES I am in the same boat as all of you. The 5.0.1 update destroyed my phone... I have the inconvenience of having to carry an extra battery with me everyday in order to ensure I can get a days use. When the phone was new in the box I could get a day no problem..

I have done MULTIPLE factory resets and it is ok for a day or 2 but the issues always come back. No matter how few apps I install the battery drain and somewhat sluggish behavior returns... I used KIES and ODIN to install the firmware and neither helped... I still LOVE my Note 4 and will be stuck waiting for a solution as I am NOT giving up my removable battery and SD card to change phones... Just think of the nightmare I would have if I didn't have a removable battery in my Note 4 after the update LOL..... I understand VZW has many devices and they can't push updates to them all at once but I still think they could EASILY create a place to keep us updated... One would think that the "Community Forums" would be a GREAT place to keep us updated.

Ann154
Community Leader
Community Leader

Personally I think Samsung would be better off with allocating their resources to update the phones straight to 6.0 instead of finishing the 5.1.1 version and then starting all over again to write the 6.0 update. Verizon Wireless has nothing to do with updating the code. VZW only tests and certifies the completed update sent from Samsung.

I'm most definitely NOT a VZW employee. If a post answered your question, please mark it as the answer.

0 Likes
hoboX10
Enthusiast - Level 2

If you want Samsung to skip 5.1.1 to go straight to 6.0, then you don't understand how Android OS progression generally works.

The X.0 version releases always have some pretty major issues. Hence why so many bugs plague 5.0.1 that our device has. 5.0.2 was release to fix many of these (which we also don't have) and then 5.1 fixed the vast majority of issues people had and came with a few new features too. If we go straight to 6.0, we are just welcoming all the new issues that 6.0 will contain while other phones get some sort of 6.X update fixing them - which (surprise) we WON'T get!

On top of that, when Samsung and Verizon realized that 5.0.1 had SO MANY PROBLEMS, their #1 priority should have been to get the most stable version out of the handsets, which has been the 5.1 update FOR MONTHS PAST.

THAT IS WHY THIS IS INEXCUSABLE. You don't let your users sit around with broken software. You fix it ASAP and then move onto new software. Verizon should have pressured Samsung (which they can easily do, being the biggest carrier) into getting 5.1 released in a timely manner, and then should have released it out to us ASAP, since it was Samsung's fault for some of the issues (like the hardware GPS bug) and Verizon's fault for others (not allowing rapid-release update cycles).

There is no reason to defend Verizon in this situation. They are in the wrong in every regard.

Ann154
Community Leader
Community Leader

Yet Motorola could write an update to go from 4.4.4 to 5.1.1 for the Moto X 2013 Verizon phone. That's a major jump and I don't issues with that update. It is possible.

I'm most definitely NOT a VZW employee. If a post answered your question, please mark it as the answer.

0 Likes
epiieq1
Enthusiast - Level 2

VC Post had an interesting article the other day where they were talking about Samsung phones that were on the initial "upgrade to 6.0" list.  They list the model #'s and the current finished version from Samsung's internal documents.  SM-N910V is listed as 5.1.1 for the completed/released version.  If this is true, then it's all on Verizon.  I have to say, that as much as I like my phone and my service, this is convincing me that getting either a Nexus 6P or going back to an iPhone and switching to AT&T is probably best for my family and I.  I've had other issues with Verizon's service recently, and the assistance they gave in the face of real data/facts was abysmal, and has convinced me that they really do not care about customers, and that it's in our best interests to make them improve by doing the one thing that will hurt.  Leave their service.  Either that, or all of us Note 4 users get together and form a class...

Jhahn01
Contributor - Level 1

Normally I would agree with you if so many phone weren't by the 5.0.1 update that screwed up thousands of phones.  First they got to get those phone working properly before even thinking about 6.0.  If everyone with a broken phone would put their payment in escrow like when a renter has a problem, they would probably take action quicker.  No phone = no pay.  This is more than just an inconvenience, some have real issues holding and making communications they are paying for.

0 Likes
invertedspear
Enthusiast - Level 2

Time to take it to twitter and start generating some negative publicity for their lack of an update here.

"@VZWSupport, no 5.1.1 for your note 4, that's a #VZWFail"